Author Topic: Death Certificates  (Read 4793 times)

Offline Rinnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Death Certificates
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 07 August 04 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hey

I think death certificates can be a good thing! I got one for my gt.gt grandmother which ended a long debate in the family, showing that the information that is passed down isn't always true! The family all believed that she had died in childbirth, as her daughter was sent away to live with relatives at 3 weeks or 3 months! (Who was thought to be illegitimate by my taid, turned out that she wasn't!, which is a long story). Anyway we found out that my gt.gt grandmother had actually died 3 months after my gt grandmothers birth of consumption!! and that she had actually been the one that registered her daughter, which might have been pretty hard if she had died in childbirth!

Rin  :)
North Wales: Denbighshire: Williams, Griffiths, Davies, Jones, Speed, Matthias, Hopwood, Pugh, Hughes, Edwards, Rowland, Blower (Bloor)
Flintshire: Blower (Bloor), Williams, Clarke
Staffordshire: Darlington, Stubbs, Biddulph
Cheshire: Stubbs, Wade, Henshaw(Henshall)
Cumberland: Marriner, Tuddenham, Bell, Norman, Crozier
Norfolk: Tuddenham, Rolfe, Rosier

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Meryl

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 07 August 04 14:20 BST (UK) »
I used to think death certificates would not give you much more information but I was surprised when I ordered my greatgrandfather's death.  Knowing his wife had died a year earlier at age 53, I expected an informant to be son or daughter but apparently he had remarried within a year and I got the name of his second wife!  Then went back and found their marriage.

Meryl

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 07 August 04 14:25 BST (UK) »
One I got, showed my ancestor had died very young, but more importantly the informant was another wife.

She'd only married him about 4 months before his death. He had 3 young children from his first marriage, that wife had died young at 26.

All the children ended up in institutions. She obviously thought her boat had come in by marrying him as she was 7 years older only to be widowed soon after.

I wouldn't have known he'd re-married at that stage without the cert. Still haven't found out what happened to his wife afterwards though.

:)
Stevenson,Seabrook,Gravestock,Lee - Cambs. Geden and varients -  Warks. Oxf. Green- Beds and London. Foster, Little - Essex. Sheldrick - Surrey and London? Smith - Bucks. Coulling - Oxf.

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 07 August 04 15:39 BST (UK) »
Dinkey, you missing ancestor and the death certificate:

If you fill in a form it is for a specific certificate.  You can provide certain details that you know of and tick the box for them to check.  Then if the details don't match, you only lose a few pounds, rather than ALL your £7.

How old would your ancestor have been in 1851 then?  You say you've got him then but he disappears afterwards?
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley

Offline dinkey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 07 August 04 15:54 BST (UK) »
I last saw him on 1851 census for Lees Ashton-u-Lyne age 39 so born c 1812. I have the marriage certificate of his second youngest son who married in Manchester 1867 giving fathers name and occupation as cotton spinner. Presume this is correct then the father died between 1867 and 1881. Did not find him on 1881 census

This area now comes under Oldham district. There are a number of possibles shown on Free BMD but they do not give ages for me to narrow down the search.

If it only means losing a few pounds to request a search based on known info, then I think that is what I have to do.

Don't understand why ages would not be shown on Free BMD though for this period.

dinkey
TRAVIS/ROCHDALE-OLDHAM-TODMORDEN-ASHTON-U-LYNE-BURY AREAS
DALTON/WIDNES- CHESHIRE-THORNTON-FLEETWOOD

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 07 August 04 17:12 BST (UK) »
Also, you can't always take as fact that the father was alive at time of marriage.

I have some that were dead but deceased was not written on the certificate.

:) ??? :)
Stevenson,Seabrook,Gravestock,Lee - Cambs. Geden and varients -  Warks. Oxf. Green- Beds and London. Foster, Little - Essex. Sheldrick - Surrey and London? Smith - Bucks. Coulling - Oxf.

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 07 August 04 20:23 BST (UK) »
 ???I have a death certificate from 1876 which gives the cause of death as "senectus".  With my O level Latin, I assume it means old age, (she was 82) but could it have had a more specific meaning then, like dementia?
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 07 August 04 22:32 BST (UK) »

Hi suttontrust :D

Senectus was the Roman God of old age. Somtimes Geras the Greek Mythology God of old age is aka Senectus.

Geras is depicted as a shrivelled up old man.

Given this, I would say there was nothing sinister wrong with your ancestor - it was simply time that wearied her.

Aaron
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 09 August 04 13:13 BST (UK) »
Dinkey - assume nothing I was told that my G Grandpa died when Grandpa was a small boy and that Grandpa was then brought up by an older brother.  I thought I could safely assume that GGPa had died by 1881, even found someone in the burial records whom I was convinced was mine - all lies just found both of them alive and well in the 1881 census  :-\
Suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins