Author Topic: Robert Duncanson, Doune  (Read 1685 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Duncanson, Doune
« Reply #18 on: Monday 11 November 19 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Actually I just have found Henry in London in 1939, living with his widowed daughter Agnes Ovenstone (she married William Ovenstone exactly four days after her divorce from her first husband was finalised, but he died less than 3 months later) and her future third husband Fred van Duzer, whose divorce from his first wife was not made absolute until April of the following year.

I've also found 3 of the 4 children left fatherless when Henry's father was drowned in 1862, though only in the 1871 census, after which they all disappear; only Peter surfaces in 1884 and possibly in 1910, as described upthread.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 13:36 GMT (UK) »

I've also found 3 of the 4 children left fatherless when Henry's father was drowned in 1862, though only in the 1871 census, after which they all disappear; only Peter surfaces in 1884 and possibly in 1910, as described upthread.

Just curious really  ::) Who were the other two children (we have talked about Peter b. 1858-9 in Ireland and Henry b. 1862 so far). Peter with Aunt Grace and husband John, Henry with mother Mary and new family. Who was the third child you found with?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 14:16 GMT (UK) »
I found a John Duncanson, aged 15, born Ireland, visiting the family of Mary Stuart's uncle John McFie in Kingarth, Bute in the 1871 census.

And Robert Duncanson, 17, born Ireland, was with his mother and stepfather.

Mary's second husband was married twice. He had 8 sons and one daughter by his first wife, who died aged 31. All died in infancy except possibly one, although he isn't with his father in 1871. What a terrible, tragic story. He also lost his and Mary's eldest child in infancy.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Apart from Henry's two daughters, was there also a son, Robert, born c. 1883 in Paris?
Well, it seems that Henry and Marie had another daughter, Aline, in 1894 and a son Robert in 1896. Robert died in a flying accident in Ceylon in 1955, leaving a widow and a son, whose names are unknown.

Aline remained in France, was married twice and had three children (if I have correctly interpreted all the assorted squiggles on a borrowed sheet of paper).

However one of the more legible squiggles seems to suggest that Marie Barbier was Henry's second wife, so this Robert born in 1883 may be his son by his first wife?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Apart from Henry's two daughters, was there also a son, Robert, born c. 1883 in Paris (before his marriage we have on record)?

Monica

That is who I was referring to yesterday. I got a hunch so kept on looking around for info on him.

I think Robert was an officer in the RAF. He married twice.

First marriage in Enfield in 1919, to  a Lilian Florence Wells (possible London birth for her in 1893). He had I think only one daughter from this marriage, Aline b. 1920 Edmonton, Essex, a little over a year after his marriage in Edmonton. The name Aline is pretty rare in the UK particularly linked to the surname Duncanson. An Aline Duncanson was in the theatre in the mid 1900s. She died not too long ago I think, or at least there is a death at the age of 95 for a person with that name (implying she may not have been married). Death on 3 Apr 2015 in Speldhurst.

I found a photo of who I think is Aline b. 1920. A very lovely photo. Let me try and find it again to add link.

Second marriage I believe may have been to a Nancy Agnes Paton Thompson. She moved to Australia following the death of Robert and remarried there. There is a family tree for Nancy. From this, Robert's death is showing as being on 21 May 1949 in Sri Lanka.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 21:11 GMT (UK) »
This is the photo of an Aline Duncanson, aged 2 in 1922. You would think she is Robert's daughter.

www.shutterstock.com/editorial/image-editorial/aline-duncanson-2-years-listening-by-wireles-with-her-dog-roy-and-her-teddy-bear-2592501a

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Could well be Robert referred to in this story www.sundaytimes.lk/000102/sup5.html

Also:

Flt/Lt Robert Duncanson became the Aero Club’s Chief Flying Instructor on 1st June 1938. He played a major role in flying training at Ratmalana Airport till his unfortunate and mysterious death in an air crash when his Tiger Moth disappeared on 21st May 1949 into the sea. On take-off he had fuel to fly for three hours.....
www.slideshare.net/prageeth3dmc/civil-aviation-book-final

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Shipping manifest entry for Robert, wife Lilian and daughter Aline arriving in London on 6 Apr 1929 from Rangoon, Burma.

He was 33 years old, so born c. 1896.

Monica

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Good heavens, Monica, that's a real tour de force! Thank you very much.

Yes, on studying the bits of borrowed paper again 1949 is right, not 1955.

Lilian Florence Wells was born in Dublin on 18 January 1893 to Reginald Abbot Wells and Margaret Florence Dobson. She died 9 February 1976 in London as Lilian Florence Duncanson, so if Robert remarried (of which I have yet to find a record) he and Lilian must have been divorced.