Author Topic: 1861/1871 census lookup  (Read 2385 times)

Offline clareh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1861/1871 census lookup
« on: Wednesday 04 August 04 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm new to this site and stumbled across it quite by accident.  Now I've found it I was wondering if there was anyone out there who might be able to help me with a census look up. I'm looking for my great grandfather John William Robinson, born around 1851, father John Robinson (farmer).  The ealiest concrete info I have for him was his marriage in 1872 to a Mary Ann Spencer.  At the time they both resided in Burley in Wharfedale and continued to live there at least up until 1901. I have reason to believe that he was probably living in Burley in Wharfedale before his marriage. Although I've located his wife and children in the 1881/1901 census, he was not listed with them (he was a stone mason/journeyman and presumably was working away at time of census.  Included as a witness on his marriage certificate is an Alfred Robinson who might be included in the family group. If possible I'd like a look up on the 1861/1871 census for Burley in Wharfedale. Many thanks.
Hargate - Barnsley
Haynes - Warwickshire
Robinson - Yorkshire

Offline ginny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1861/1871 census lookup
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 November 04 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clare,
I am posting the census for Robinson 1851- 1871 - 1891. You'll have to see what you can  make of them.I don't have 1861.

1851  Burley  in Wharfedale. 2284   289
Robert Robinson  56  NFK Wells.
Elizabeth    ,,        50  Mullinjar,Westmaid. IRE.
Jane           ,,         29 Dublin IRE.
Mary Ann    ,,         21 NFK, Wells.
Robert        ,,         20 NFK, Wells.
William       ,,         18  NFK, Wells.
Edward      ,,          12 Burley in Wharfedale.
Elizabeth    ,,            3 Burley in Wharfedale.

1871  4302 47 Burley in Wharfedale.
Mary Ann  Robinson  39  Norfolk, Wells.
Elizabeth        ,,         23  Burley in Wharfedale.
John               ,,          19     ,,      ,,        ,,

1871 4302   19 Burley in Wharfedale.
Robert Robinson   37  NFK,Wells
Maria         ,,          39  LIN, Haggs.
ALFRED      ,,          16  Burley in Wharfedale.
William       ,,          12      ,,      ,,         ,,.

1891  3527  57  Burley in Wharfedale.
John Wm  Robinson   39  Burley in Wharfedale.
Mary Ann        ,,          39   Farnley
Elizabeth        ,,           14     Burley.
William           ,,            12         ,,
Fanny             ,,            10        ,,
Emma             ,,              8   Lancaster.
Robert            ,,              7   LAN, Quernmore.
Annie              ,,            5 Burley in Wharfedale.
Jane Ellen       ,,            2     ,,      ,,       ,,

If you want me to look for any of the Robinsons above when they have left home let me know, This was the only John in 1871 that seemed to be the right age but there isn't a John that fits in as being his Father.
Regards
Sandra
Barker-Kildwick, Otley. Esholt.
Dixon- Whitby.
Jewson-Norfolk, Middlesborough.
Learoyd-Staveley, Ripon.
Marsden- Derby, Barnsley.
Pitts- Windhill- Shipley area.
Ascough- Masham- Ripon.
Smith- Leeds, Ilkley.

Offline clareh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 November 04 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra
Thanks for that - the 1891 John William Robinson is most definitely mine, but I don't know about the 1871 John Robinson.  There wasn't any on the 1871 census a couple of years younger was there? I know his father was definitely called John as he's listed on his marriage certificate. 
Thanks for your help
Clare
Hargate - Barnsley
Haynes - Warwickshire
Robinson - Yorkshire

Offline ginny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 November 04 13:34 GMT (UK) »
I have had another look but there isn't any other John that would fit. Have you looked for his birth as there is this one on yorkshire bmd which I would think is probably his. this might give you some more info. Burley is very close to Otley & my Burley relatives were registered at Otley.
1851  ROBINSON John William Otley Leeds OTLE/9/64

I also thought it might be the right family in 1871 as Alfred in 1871 is the son of Robert in the original family. (this was also the only Alfred in the whole area)

If you manage to get any further info get back to me & i'll have a look, & i'll keep an eye out for the 1861 being released as I have the same problem for some of my names, 20 years is too big a gap.

I have had a marriage certificate were the father was definitely not the father even though he was named on the marriage certificate ,so maybe the birth certificate will confirm John's Father.
Regards
Sandra
Barker-Kildwick, Otley. Esholt.
Dixon- Whitby.
Jewson-Norfolk, Middlesborough.
Learoyd-Staveley, Ripon.
Marsden- Derby, Barnsley.
Pitts- Windhill- Shipley area.
Ascough- Masham- Ripon.
Smith- Leeds, Ilkley.

Offline clareh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 November 04 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Sandra.  Unfortunately I've already had two  1851 certs for John  Robinson.  One is defintiely not the one I'm looking for. The other one  has his mother as a Jane Robinson but there is no father listed. The confusing bit for me is that on his marriage cert his father is listed as John Robinson Occupation farmer - was proof needed of these details when they married or could they give any details? Is there an occupation listed on the 1871 census for the John Robinson you found - mine was a stone mason.
Thanks. Clare
Hargate - Barnsley
Haynes - Warwickshire
Robinson - Yorkshire