Author Topic: Obtaining WW2 service records, RAF & WAAF  (Read 3170 times)

Offline lyndhurstlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Obtaining WW2 service records, RAF & WAAF
« on: Thursday 14 November 19 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Both my parents are long gone, and I have their death certificates.  I know how to apply for the records, but I'm wondering what I will likely get for my 30 pounds per request.  I'm hoping it's a bit more than just any medals they were issued and dates of signing up and leaving, and any ranks.

I'm hoping for dates and locations of assignments and perhaps the details/application form on their signing up and leaving the forces.  Can anyone tell me from experience what to expect to receive?   

Dad enlisted with the RAF in Scotland, likely in 1937, demobbing in 1946.  Mum signed up for the WAAFs in England, some time around 1942 or so as she was born 1924.  Any feedback regarding expectations and the process are welcomed.

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Obtaining WW2 service records, RAF & WAAF
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 November 19 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi
When my dad was in his 90's I got him to apply for his record from the RAF WW2. He was a Corporal not an officer. I'm so pleased I did. I got several large colour pages, two of which only had his name and service number on , but the others had details of every posting, all the courses he did and his marks in the tests etc.
We went through it together and he had remembered quite well where he had been , though some things he'd remembered in the wrong order! Now he's gone, it's lovely to have it and it was very clear and well copied onto quality paper. Hopefully that's still how it's done.
North East of England

Offline lyndhurstlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 November 19 04:03 GMT (UK) »
Ah, now that would be a welcomed outcome!  Perhaps I will give it a go!  Apparently, dad made it to sergeant, but got bumped back down to corporal.  Maybe I will finally know why!   Thanks! 

Offline Highland one

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 January 23 13:46 GMT (UK) »
I have applied for my late mother's WAAF records, does anyone know is there likely to be an ID type of photo included?
I would love to see a picture of her in uniform even if it is only head & shoulders

Offline Taffster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 January 23 15:11 GMT (UK) »
One of my ancestors was a pilot and I receieved about 6 pages of A3. Lists when he enlisted, NOK training and postings. He was on the Arnold schools program in the states and trained at 5 airfields there. He married a local woman at the last base. Also injured and given sick leave, then medically discharged in 1946. Can then spend hours on google tracking his movements. Finally ended up flying rocket firing Typhoons at Falaise and battle of the bulge. I aso obtained a copy of his Sqn. Operational record book and the commanders diary. On the other hand, you may only get an A4 piece of paper if he was an airman. May have spent the entire war guarding an airfield.

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 January 23 17:12 GMT (UK) »
I applied for both my parents records RAF & WAAF & had to wait months before finally getting them. They were very difficult to understand as a lot of it is coded with lots of dates, but they do supply you with some of the meanings. I was disappointed but at the time Rootschat had a wonderful member called MaxD who deciphered all the records for me & looked up information as to what would have been going on in those areas where they were stationed at the time. Sadly MaxD isn't with us anymore. Don't expect much, but if someone else could help you you can learn quite a bit from them. As far as I know there is no Photograph ID with records.

Offline Highland one

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 January 23 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Ellenmai, I will bare that info in mind, hopefully my Mum's record isn't too complicated, the Internet is very good for research so I'm sure I'll get to the bottom of it 😀

Offline Highland one

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 January 23 17:50 GMT (UK) »
One of my ancestors was a pilot and I receieved about 6 pages of A3. Lists when he enlisted, NOK training and postings. He was on the Arnold schools program in the states and trained at 5 airfields there. He married a local woman at the last base. Also injured and given sick leave, then medically discharged in 1946. Can then spend hours on google tracking his movements. Finally ended up flying rocket firing Typhoons at Falaise and battle of the bulge. I aso obtained a copy of his Sqn. Operational record book and the commanders diary. On the other hand, you may only get an A4 piece of paper if he was an airman. May have spent the entire war guarding an airfield.
Interesting info about your Ancestor, I hope I get more than 1 A4 sheet about my mum 😳

Offline WelwynGC1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 January 23 11:43 GMT (UK) »
I would say get the service records if you can, don`t think you will be disappointed as they tell you so much.
When l got my Uncles records for RAF they told me what he was doing from the day he signed up until the day in 1943 that he was listed as Killed in Action, lost without trace.
He was a Lancaster rear gunner with 100 Squadron at Waltham (Grimsby).

Had he survived he would have been 100 next week, sadly forever twenty.

If there is anything you don`t understand on the records there will certainly be someone on here who can help.
Its a fantastic site, good luck, the wait will be worth it.
Hayton 1800-Present Day

Maynard, Jones-Hertford

Chance- Jarrow/Hebburn/South Shields 1800-Present Day

HONOUR THE BRAVE BOMBER BOYS-NEVER FORGET