Author Topic: MARRIAGE LOOKUP REQUEST - John BROWN, Mary SEYLLY, Witney  (Read 541 times)

Offline jkgla

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MARRIAGE LOOKUP REQUEST - John BROWN, Mary SEYLLY, Witney
« on: Friday 15 November 19 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Could someone kind with access to the Witney registers either copy or photograph the entry for JOHN BROWN & MARY SEYLLY (sp?) which I think took place on 13th November 1707

Very many thanks in advance

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Re: MARRIAGE LOOKUP REQUEST - John BROWN, Mary SEYLLY, Witney
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 November 19 06:00 GMT (UK) »
I've checked the Oxfordshire Family History Society's marriage index (on CD), and the marriage is listed as you state except that the bride's surname is transcribed as SCILLY.

I don't have the specific CD for Witney (WIT-01), and Ancestry doesn't seem to have this record.  However the marriage entries around that date rarely contain any more information than names, date, and place.

Are you able to go to the Oxfordshire History Centre or one of the libraries in the county where OFHS have volunteer advisers?

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline jkgla

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 November 19 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Very many thanks for this, Carol. It’s unfortunate that Ancestry’s Witney registers for the period are actually burials rather than. BMD. We live in the West of Scotland, so visiting the Oxfordshire FHC is difficult.
I appreciate that you’ve verified the entry, for which many thanks.  The surname ‘Seylly’ seems to be spellt differently for every entry!

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 November 19 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it's one of' 'those' names isn't it!  While checking the PR images I noticed several SILLY people, but that's normal for Witney or so I'm told :D
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline jkgla

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: MARRIAGE LOOKUP REQUEST - John BROWN, Mary SEYLLY, Witney - COMPLETED
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 November 19 16:42 GMT (UK) »
I like it :)