Author Topic: GORMAN of TULLAMORE  (Read 2909 times)

Offline Karanm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GORMAN of TULLAMORE
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 24 September 20 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hello I can fill in some blanks . Joseph Riggs and his wife Mary Gorman were my great great grandparents and as you know had several children   including Eliza (Elizabeth?) and Margaret Mary. Francis (Frank) became a solicitor and had a practice in Didsbury Manchester . His sister Annie Mary Ita b 1870  Married my great Grandfather Richard Henry Phillips (Harry) In 1870 in Tullamore . They moved to Lancashire Higher Broughton in Salford , Richard was killed in the Boer war in 1901 leaving Annie with 5 remaining sons to care for (she had 6 but one had died they were Edward (d)  , John (Jack), Alan, Francis (Frank), Richard Henry (Harry) And Charles O’Gorman  . We think Annie was a midwife . The 1901 census shows her living with her boys but also Her brothers William and Joseph aged 20 and 18 respectively . William was a solicitors clerk suspect he worked for Frank as did Richard Henry , Annie’s husband , until he was recalled to serve . Their youngest son Charlie is my grandad . In the 1911 census Annie’s Mother Mary is shown living with her having been widowed and also another of Annie’s brothers  Thomas then 19 and shown as a colliery storekeeper . Our family tree mentions the Irvines and a Walter Irvine , also Lawlers ? I haven’t found any further mention of a sibling called James as yet . Hope this helps fill in a few blanks . It’s lovely to hear of Eliza/ Elizabeth .

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 25 September 20 12:28 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

His sister Annie Mary Ita b 1870  Married my great Grandfather Richard Henry Phillips (Harry) In 1870 in Tullamore .

The marriage took place on 23rd June 1890.

Party 1 Name   RICHARD PHILLIPS
Party 2 Name   ANNIE RIGGS
SR District/Reg Area   Tullamore

Richard Henry Phillips, a sergeant in the R.I.R. residing at the Barracks, Mullingar.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1890/10701/5901265.pdf

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Karanm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 25 September 20 12:34 BST (UK) »
Yes thanks for that

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 25 September 20 12:48 BST (UK) »

Richard Henry Phillips, a sergeant in the R.I.R. residing at the Barracks, Mullingar.

The military barracks in Mullingar as viewed on the Historic Map 25 inch (1888-1913) on GeoHive.
https://bit.ly/2Gapx8k

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Karanm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 25 September 20 13:40 BST (UK) »
That’s great thanks

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 26 September 20 12:09 BST (UK) »

The 1901 census shows her living with her boys but also Her brothers William and Joseph aged 20 and 18 respectively . William was a solicitors clerk suspect he worked for Frank as did Richard Henry , Annie’s husband , until he was recalled to serve . Their youngest son Charlie is my grandad . In the 1911 census Annie’s Mother Mary is shown living with her having been widowed and also another of Annie’s brothers  Thomas then 19 and shown as a colliery storekeeper . 

Another brother of Annie was born in 1888.....Francis Samuel
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1888/02515/1932379.pdf

Offline Karanm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 26 September 20 12:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for this