Author Topic: BENNETT, Sarah Jane - Spondon circa 1824 - 1827  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
BENNETT, Sarah Jane - Spondon circa 1824 - 1827
« on: Sunday 17 November 19 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone.  I'm not sure what more information can be found for this query but it's worth a shot.

My 3GGM Sarah Jane Bennett married my 3GGF Thomas Benjamin Densley in the Wesleyan Methodist Church in Melbourne, Australia in 1845, although both bride & groom were shown as living outside of Melbourne in a small town named Lancefield.

There are no parents listed on the marriage record as this information was not required at that time.  The witnesses were Thomas Reay of Lancefield and William Duffy of Melbourne but there is no known family relationship to the bride or groom.

When Sarah dies in January 1919 there are no parents listed on her death record, but it does state she was born in Spondon, Derbyshire.  Her age listed on the death record is 94, although a newspaper death notice shows her as 92.

Many online trees show her as the Sarah Jane Bennett baptised in Spondon on 7 September 1829 with father John Bennett and mother Maria, but I think that Sarah is still in Spondon with her mother on the 1851 and 1861 census.

Sarah's children were Marianne Priscille (Priscille is a Densley family name), Dinah Elizabeth, William, Thomas, Henry, Charles, Sarah Jane and Benjamin James.

Any potential information about the origins of my Sarah Jane Bennett greatly appreciated.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BENNETT, Sarah Jane - Spondon circa 1824 - 1827
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 November 19 09:44 GMT (UK) »
There is a baptism in Spondon St Werburgh for a Sarah Bennett 7 December 1828 with parents Charles and Jane. Charles is a Gardener.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 November 19 10:02 GMT (UK) »
They also had their daughter Jane Bennett baptised there 28 Jul 1825.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 November 19 10:09 GMT (UK) »
There is a baptism in Spondon St Werburgh for a Sarah Bennett 7 December 1828 with parents Charles and Jane. Charles is a Gardener.

Thank you.  That's an interesting possibility given the name Charles doesn't appear in the 3GGF's family.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 November 19 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Jane Bennet was buried St Werburgh's Church, Spondon, Derbyshire16 Jul 1835 age 38,
Her husband Charles was buried there 02 Aug 1836 age 39

There are other Bennet/t burials there on family search, neither of the girls already posted.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 November 19 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Jane Bennet was buried St Werburgh's Church, Spondon, Derbyshire16 Jul 1835 age 38,
Her husband Charles was buried there 02 Aug 1836 age 39

There are other Bennet/t burials there on family search, neither of the girls already posted.

Thanks, Colin.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 November 19 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Charles and Jane had a number of children.

The eldest Charles was baptised 1824 in Heanor, Derbyshire, the rest in Spondon.
Jane 1825, Joseph 1827 Burial 1838), Sarah 1828, Mary 1832, Emma 1833, the last was Maria was baptised 16 Jul 1835, the day of her mothers burial.

A Sarah Bennett was buried Spondon 1837, age 75 (1762) and maybe mother of Charles?

I’m not sure when Sarah arrived in Australia or if she went alone but I’m not having much luck finding the above children, who would be age 6 - 17 in 1841, except maybe Jane below?

Church Broughton, Burton upon Trent Derbyshire.
There is an 1841 census with Jane Bennett age 14, she is with John and Ann Bennett both age 30,
They have six children age 0 to 10, Jane is at the bottom of the list which makes me think she is not theirs?

Colin

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 November 19 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Church Broughton, Burton upon Trent Derbyshire.
There is an 1841 census with Jane Bennett age 14, she is with John and Ann Bennett both age 30,
They have six children age 0 to 10, Jane is at the bottom of the list which makes me think she is not theirs?

Yes, I thought that might be Jane as well.

The newspaper notice suggests Sarah came to Australia around 1844 but I cannot find a shipping record.  I think the death record suggests an earlier arrival but it will be tomorrow before I can put my hands on that again.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 November 19 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Good Luck, Colin