Author Topic: Hutchison Family  (Read 4718 times)

Offline munchkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hutchison Family
« on: Friday 19 August 05 19:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am trying to find information on the Hutchison Family who were living in Glasgow in 1881.
Residing at 105 Wolseley st Glasgow.
Maitland Hutchison (head) engine fitter 34yrs born Stanley Perthshire.
Annie Hutchison (Aitken wife) 33yrs born Kirkintilloch Dumbartonshire.
Maitland A Hutchison (son) 8yrs born Glasgow.
David Hutchison (son) 2yrs born Glasgow. ( grandad)
Helen C Hutchison (daughter) 10mth born Glasgow.
My grandfather died 4 days before my father was born so i do not know anything at all about the family, up to now i have found out that they were in Lancashire in 1891 and Hull in 1901. Would love to know anything about anyone connected with them in Scotland could any relatives still live around there??????
Any help will be most gratefully recieved, Thankyou Munchkin.xx :D
Hutchison, Colley, Aitken, Smith, Winship, Johnson. Douthwaite, Towse, Atkinson. Lyon, Cooper, Clark, Matthews, Creaser, Rudd, Shepherdson and Craven

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hutchison Family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Munchkin,

Has anyone got back to you on this?  I am researching the Hutchison name (my husband's family) and although I don't see a connection with the names you list, the name Maitland Hutchison seems sufficiently unusual for me to be interested in pursuing further just in case there is a connection.  I have traced part of my husband's family back to Perthshire as well.

I think I have found Maitland's birth on the IGI, it doesn't give a date other than 1847, but gives parents as Alexander Hutchison and Helen Cooper.  There is also an Anne Aitken born in Kirkintilloch on 07 July 1847 with parents Thomas Aitken and Anne Gilchrist.  If this is the correct names for the parents, and the family followed the Scots naming pattern, then I think that your list below may be missing some children.

If the naming pattern is followed, you can expect the children to be named as follows:
Sons
1st Son - named after father's father
2nd son - named after mother's father
3rd son - named after father
So in this case, you would expect Maitland to be the third son (unless one of the grandfathers was also called Maitland), with an Alexander and a Thomas preceding him.

Daughters
1st daughter - names after mother's mother
2nd daughter - named after father's mother
3rd daughter - named after mother
So in this case, you would expect Helen to be the 2nd daughter (if Maitland's parents are correct, the Helen C Hutchison would be Helen Cooper Hutchison), with an Anne or Annie first.

The birth certificates for all the children should be available on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.  This site also has the census records for Scotland from 1851 to 1901.  In addition, you should be able to find Maitland and Anne's marriage certificate there, which will confirm the details of their parents.

If you need any help or info about searching in Scotland, or just want to chat about your Hutchison finds, drop me a note.  My father in law is a David Hutchison - tenuous I know, but there may just be a connection way back :)

Cheers,
Clare
ELLIOT, CROZIER, HAY, AITCHISON, COWAN - Roxburghshire
BETT - Kinross-shire, Fife and Glasgow
CHAMBERS, BRUFF, WESTMACOTT - Glasgow
And many, many more...

Offline munchkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Clare, thanks for replying.
I have looked and this is what i foundMaitland Hutchison married Annie Aitken in Glasgow 14th July 1871.
Thier children are ..............
Maitland Aitken Hutchison b 1872
Thomas Aitken Hutchison b 1873
Annie Gilchrist Hutchison b1874
David Hutchison b 1879
Helen C Hutchison b1881
All born in Glasgow.
David Hutchison married Charlotte Colley in Hull in 1916 and they had a son David George Maitland Hutchison b 1917.
This last David was my dad.
Maitland Hutchisons parents were Alexander Hutchison and Helen Cooper who married in Auchtergaven Perth in 1837.
Their children were.........................
Alexander Hutchison b 1840
John Hutchison b 1843
Maitland Hutchison b 1847.
Have you any of these in your tree. thanks Wendy.
Hutchison, Colley, Aitken, Smith, Winship, Johnson. Douthwaite, Towse, Atkinson. Lyon, Cooper, Clark, Matthews, Creaser, Rudd, Shepherdson and Craven

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

As I mentioned earlier, none of these connect directly - but I am wondering if Alexander Hutchison (who married in 1837) is possibly connected in some way.  Do you know anything about his parents?

Cheers,
Clare
ELLIOT, CROZIER, HAY, AITCHISON, COWAN - Roxburghshire
BETT - Kinross-shire, Fife and Glasgow
CHAMBERS, BRUFF, WESTMACOTT - Glasgow
And many, many more...

Offline munchkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 18:15 BST (UK) »
No not yet i am afraid Clare, but i know in 1881 my Maitland and his family were living at no 105 Wolseley st Glasgow.
His brother and his family were living at no 63 Wolseley st.
Alexander Hutchison b1840   ((husband))
Mary Hutchison (nee Barr) b 1848 ((wife))
Robert Hutchison b 1867
Alexander Hutchison b 1870
Matilda Hutchison b 1872
John Hutchison b 1875
Mary Hutchison b1877
Maitland Hutchison b 1879
David Hutchison b 1881.
Will leave a message when i finnd out more on their parents.
Wendy.

Offline Aye Right

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 April 06 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Clare and Wendy

I can confirm that your family members are connected - my mother is the granddaughter of Helen Cooper Hutchison and according to my genealogy software I am Maitland Hutchison's 2nd great-grandniece - whatever that means.  My mother is his brother Alexanders great granddaughter.

What other information are you looking for specifically?  I am having trouble finding Maitland after 1901 in Yorkshire and would also appreciate any information you have collated on him.

I am still in the Glasgow area and searching the English records is very different to the Scottish records so it is slowing me up quite a bit.!

Kind regards.

COATES & JONES - Shropshire & Liverpool pre 1880<br />WILLIAMSON & MCCRACKEN- Armagh, Northern Ireland pre 1881<br />HAYNES & ROWLANDS - Shropshire pre 1880
HUTCHISON - Perthshire pre 1880
WATT - Aberdeenshire pre 1880

Offline munchkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 April 06 22:45 BST (UK) »
Aye Right, I have been trying to find my fathers side of the family as i never knew any. I am just looking in my files to give you the info, I know what happened to Maitland up to his death and were he is buried. I am his great granddaughter. regrds Wendy.

Offline munchkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 April 06 23:12 BST (UK) »
Aye Right, this is what i know after 1901. as you know there was Maitland (head )
Annie (Wife)
David (son)........my g/dad
Alexander (g/son)
David married a Charlotte Colley in 1916 in Hull. he died due to ww1 in 1917 just 4 days before his son was born ((also a David )) my father.
Annie died 31/7/1915 buried 3/8/1915, was residing at 17 Crystal grove Pulman st.
David died 20/12/1917 buried 26/12/1917 was residing at st stephens place.
Maitland died 10/04/1925, buried 15/04/1925.
All three are buried in Western cemetry spring bank west Hull.
Maitlands g/son David my father married and had six children of which i am the youngest.
Hope this helps just let me know if you need any more.
I would be most grateful if you could tell me anything at all about my family in Scotland as i know very little, thankyou Wendy.

Offline Aye Right

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 April 06 23:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Wendy.  It fills in a few blanks ;)

Maitland's brother Alexander (my ancestor) had 13 children including another Maitland.  I will check with my grandmother (my late grandfather was Alexander's grandson) and see if she can remember anything as I am not aware of any 'current' relations whose name is Hutchison.

Will contact you again soon.

Kind Regards.

COATES & JONES - Shropshire & Liverpool pre 1880<br />WILLIAMSON & MCCRACKEN- Armagh, Northern Ireland pre 1881<br />HAYNES & ROWLANDS - Shropshire pre 1880
HUTCHISON - Perthshire pre 1880
WATT - Aberdeenshire pre 1880