Author Topic: FINDLAY, Robert George Shewan & May (nee WATERS)  (Read 724 times)

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
FINDLAY, Robert George Shewan & May (nee WATERS)
« on: Tuesday 19 November 19 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

Robert George Shewan Findlay was born in Kildrummy, Aberdeenshire in 1910, parents Leonard John Hean Findlay and Joan Shewan.

May Waters was born in Aboyne, Aberdeenshire in 1913, parents Frederick Charles Waters and Sarah Jane Birss.

They married in Insch, Aberdeenshire in 1939.

I could not find a death for them in Scotland but found a shipping record of them returning to the UK for a 2 week visit in 1958 from South Africa. There were no children with them on the voyage.

EDIT: I have also found  a shipping record of Robert arriving in the UK from South Africa on 28 July 1939 on his own so possibly before they married.

A Google search indicated that they both died in South Africa but I could not access the records.

There are  a few trees on Ancestry that list Robert but no spouse (that I have seen) and do not have death details.

Any information about Robert and May would be gratefully received.

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
Re: FINDLAY, Robert George Shewan & May (nee WATERS)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 November 19 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Here is May's estate file https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L97M-7HTQ?i=320&wc=Q8WM-82S%3A1058034301%2C1058361201&cc=1407787
There are two children listed who presumably are still alive, so perhaps you can google them and try connecting with them

Regards
Gillian
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
Re: FINDLAY, Robert George Shewan & May (nee WATERS)
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 November 19 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you - that's very helpful.