Author Topic: Thomas BALLENGER  (Read 1702 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas BALLENGER
« Reply #18 on: Friday 22 November 19 06:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Sue.

6 days after or 25 days before ... or the Reg Gen had not yet supplied stationery for the clergy to record all the paperwork, or .perhapps ... the right hand side of a double page was not shared.  Brickwalls thrive on lack of info.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 22 November 19 06:35 GMT (UK) »
As a further matter of interest, the Werribee River was at one time also known as the River Exe.

On the cert where Parish is struck through the words describing where both the individuals were from show River Exe. I am not sure what the words immediately following are.

The witness, Mary LEE was also of River Exe.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 22 November 19 07:32 GMT (UK) »
I think  ::)

First line re Robert Sage  ...... River Exe bachelor and

BUT that should then lead to 'widow' for  the info about Mary ... and I don't see that in that line of scribble.  I 'think' I see two  words ,  second one as 'house'

The marriage 'by licence' supports that Mary had given info to the clergy that she had had a previous marriage and she would have confirmed that she was free to marry.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 22 November 19 08:03 GMT (UK) »
My ancient rellies, (retired NSW BDM) have phoned me to suggest I need new specs ....  that elusive scribble clearly reads 'widow'  .... my 'house' is actually 'dow'  ::)  ::)  ::)

JM.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 22 November 19 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi JM
I totally agree with the decipher, but could only see it when pointed out to me. ??? ::)
Yes widow and bachelor. Thanks to your dear ones ;D

The news reports of the arrival in Oct/Sept 1852 of Marco Polo mentions many deaths, but of them two were adult.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/662732

Sue

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 22 November 19 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for all the work on my behalf.

I think the image I posted was from a parish record, rather than from an official BMD. I looked on the Victoria BMD site and the record is there. The information given by the search looked even less than that given by the church record. If I download the image for $24.50 will it contain more information than that given by the search?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 22 November 19 10:55 GMT (UK) »
No,  wait.

The Vic bdm index  ref no. Is 6366.  That same no. Is on your image.  I think Vic bdm has parish register images for the pre civil registration era,   :)

I think you have an image  sourced originally from Vic bdm.  I am sure Sue's experiences will be more reliable than mine,  so wait please.

JM

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 22 November 19 11:35 GMT (UK) »
I will wait for further advice. Meanwhile a search on the same site for Thomas’ death revealed nothing.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 22 November 19 23:05 GMT (UK) »
I am not well-versed enough to say categorically there would be more on a new copy from BDM Vic.
However, the copy you have includes no margin whatever and seems very closely cropped. Sometimes there are unexpected margin notes on registers

As you do not know its exact origins and how it was produced, it is hard to guess whether or not it is in its original form.

I think that as your main purpose is the dating of Mary's widowhood it would be a matter of pure chance as to those details being requested by Macartney or not.

A telephone conversation with BMD Vic may assist and at least settle the question of whether you may receive the whole page of the record instead of what you now have.

On the financial side, I always weigh these decisions in the light of how critical is the information to research moving forward and how close to my line is the ancestor in question.

Sue