Author Topic: 10th cousin match - is it possible  (Read 1591 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 10th cousin match - is it possible
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 November 19 15:21 GMT (UK) »
For reasonably close relatives I can work it out but going back several generations with more than one relationship gets complicated. I have a Thomas Ryde who is my 10 x great grandfather and K's 11 x great grandfather. But the same Thomas may also be my 11 x great grandfather going down the other side of the cousin marriage. I think the couple were 1C1R not simple first cousins, but still too verify. records a bit sparse in the 16 and 1700s, but luckily they had property and left wills. The downside is most of the men were called Thomas or Gabriel and most of the women were called Mary
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 November 19 15:30 GMT (UK) »
It looks as if you are double cousins - and it could be one generation out, so - maybe - 11C1R and 12C1R. I'd have to look at the chart to be certain.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 November 19 15:37 GMT (UK) »
I (my mother's test) have multiple matches to people descended from my 7th, 8th and 9th great grandparents on the TREWARTHA line. They seem to have had some very strong genetics!

The furthest match I've had with someone on my mother's DNA test is my 10th great grandparents on a different line, UGLOW, also from Cornwall.

It is entirely possible that I am related in several ways, I just haven't found the others yet.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 20 November 19 17:13 GMT (UK) »
I've got quite a few 20+ grandparents , via one of those 'posh' ancestors, but I don't put them on my tree. I rather like the fact that I, like millions of others, am descended from Eleanor of Aquitaine  ;D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***