Author Topic: Henry Stiles/Styles of Toot Baldon  (Read 1288 times)

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Stiles/Styles of Toot Baldon
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 November 19 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Following the excellent help from Cuffie81 who has helped me dismiss the Henry from Toot Baldon, I have looked at Stiles families from Berkshire and have come across a Henry Stiles, son of William Stiles and Margaret. This Henry has a baptismal date of 15 October 1820. It does not give the village, but Henry was convicted of theft in Warfield. I'm wondering if anyone can help with this possible clue.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 November 19 09:17 GMT (UK) »
William Stiles married Margaret Freeman 6/1/1812 Farringdon, Berkshire - first child Ann bpd. 1812 Farringdon then the next 8 children (including Henry) all just shown as baptised Berkshire.

In 1851 William bc.1783 Farringdon is living with wife Margaret in Great Farringdon.   

Therefore, it looks as if the baptism of Henry took place in Farringdon.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 November 19 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Henry Stiles s/o William & Margaret was born 28 August 1820 and baptised 15 October 1820 at Farringdon; William a labourer.

Siblings all also at Farringdon were:

Ann bap 12 July 1812
Thomas bap 13 Mar 1814
Robert bap 04 Jan 1816
Sarah bap 22 Mar 1818
Betty bap 02 Jun 1822, born 06 May 1822
Mary bap 07 Nov 1824
William bap 10 Jun 1827

There were two other Stiles couples having children baptised at Farringdon from 1818 onwards, one had a Henry in 1822 but then another Henry a few years later so the first one must have died.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 November 19 15:35 GMT (UK) »
I have the OFHS CD of the parish records for Faringdon and a quick look indicates that I could list William's and his siblings' baptism plus his parent's marriage and their burials if that would be of any interest?

There appears to be a lot of Stiles people in the records so you would probably be able to build up a good record for them, the CD is OXF-FAR03 or I could do something if you're in not too much of a hurry - grandchildren about to descend on us so this weekend fully occupied.  :D

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 November 19 15:56 GMT (UK) »
I’d advise caution here, because the Henry Stiles born Faringdon in 1822 is said to have been tried in 1843 and ended up in VDL, not in NSW ...

http://foundersandsurvivors.org/pubsearch/convict/chain/ai67772

But you would need to check with care all the record images linked on the above page. F&S are not always correct and have been known to conflate two people with the same name.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 22 November 19 16:57 GMT (UK) »
This Henry Stiles born Faringdon was transported to VDL on Gilmore(3) in 1843. His place of birth, names of parents (William/Margaret) and siblings as given in his convict indent are a good match with what has been found above in reply #11.

https://stors.tas.gov.au/CON14-1-20 (images 140-141)

If you’re sure the one tried at the Berkshire Assizes in 1837 and transported on ‘Waterloo’ is yours, then it looks like this Faringdon one is ruled out.