Author Topic: Electoral roll look up at Gillingham library please  (Read 849 times)

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Electoral roll look up at Gillingham library please
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 November 19 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for the replies thus far. My query is based on my experiences of electoral rolls:
i) when I go to vote I'm asked for my surname first, given names next and then my address. If they don't align, I don't vote.
ii) this approach makes sense to me as, unlike the census where the enumerator (used to) turn up at physical addresses in a geographical area to collect information on whoever was there - residents and visitors (patients, inmates, etc) - you have to register to vote. So the 'identifiers' are collected as a set not one component such as an address.
iii) I am doing my husband's Australian tree and have no idea where his family lived (nor does he!) Yet I have many electoral roll entries pulled out by Ancestry for almost all of the last couple of generations and that can only have occurred through names. When I look at the actual electoral roll excerpt they are arranged alphabetically - surname, given names and addresses. Households are not grouped together (therefore by address), you have to scroll down the list and do that yourself.
I appreciate that my experiences are from Australia and that approaches may be very different in England so apologise if I have caused confusion. I would not have asked for a look up if I thought someone was going to have to trawl through a lot of addresses to find George!
I have a lot on George including his Fox Street address and then years later in 1939 that he was living with his sister and her husband at Riverview, Forge Lane, Gillingham. This was also his address at the time of his death. Given this, and needing at least one address hypothesis to work with, Forge Lane is as good as any I suppose.
I have also approached it from his wife's perspective but apart from noting they were potentially living in different places in 1939 and she wasn't listed at Forge Lane at his death (she survived him by some years), I've had no joy.
It appears they may have been separated but I don't know when and knowing where he was in the period identified is part of this research.
Hope that helps and hope I haven't muddied the waters!  :)
JR

Holohan, Darenzy (various), Farmer, Peacock, Formby, Hannon, Parsons

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 November 19 22:51 GMT (UK) »
The address in 1939 can be easily found, but as he is not first person in the household will probably be of little use as could be just a temporary residence.

Erm, are the registered votors for an single address not listed alphabetically within the address?

Eg
John smith with wife jemima and adult son James, and a married daughter Winifed Brown will be listed
Winifed Brown,
James Smith
Jemima Smith
John Smith

Pauline

I was looking at his address on the 1939 register, not the 1939 ER. 

Added:  I then looked at some ER's for a town in West Yorkshire in the 1950's - no, they are not arranged alphabetically within households.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 November 19 22:55 GMT (UK) »
'i) when I go to vote I'm asked for my surname first, given names next and then my address. If they don't align, I don't vote.'

No, in England they want our address.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 November 19 08:15 GMT (UK) »
I have also approached it from his wife's perspective but apart from noting they were potentially living in different places in 1939 and she wasn't listed at Forge Lane at his death (she survived him by some years)

I am assuming that you are referring to the 1939 register for this information.  Like census forms this listed the occupants of a property on one day/night ( 29 September 1939), unlike an electoral register which records the normal occupants of a property.  His wife could have been visiting friends/relations elsewhere, perhaps she had a job that involved staying away from home some nights.

Was she the informant on his death
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 November 19 08:29 GMT (UK) »
rosie99 yes his wife was listed at another address as a paid housekeeper in 1939 so I think I noted it was potentially the case they were separated at that time and yes you are right it could have been that for one night she was called upon e.g. to stay over or work late. There are some other pointers towards separation and they need substantiating which is why knowing where George was from 1932-35 *may* possibly cast some light. I'm not on my usual laptop or near my records but as I recall his sister (the one that he lived with) was the informant. These observations/questions are great as they clear away the cobwebs and make me think about the evidence I have.
JR
Holohan, Darenzy (various), Farmer, Peacock, Formby, Hannon, Parsons