Author Topic: Hugh McGregor  (Read 3286 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh McGregor
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 November 19 12:08 GMT (UK) »
A quick look at the Hammermen index, several MacGregors,  a Duncan MacGregor (stranger, just means father not a member)  nautical instrument maker, is recorded joining Oct 2 1878.

Skoosh.

Offline Carbostar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 November 19 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have most of the children listed from Duncan & Rebecca, including the Hunt anomaly, I left that bit hanging for the time being as I wanted to concentrate on this Hugh McGregor, theres always a chance its not his real Father ?, as you mention the continuity of the christian name, as Ive noticed within the family think Im about the fourth or fifth to be named Duncan.
Im sort of  looking for more evidence on Hugh at the same time looking for the birth of Duncan ?.
Thank you for sharing you knowledge and experience, its most appreciated . 

Offline Carbostar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 November 19 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your valuable information its most appreciated
A little bit of back ground , I believe Hugh's son ? Duncan McGregor (1834) arrived in the North East of England around about the 1850's to gain work in the shipyards, as all the census records mention him  working as a shipyard worker, working as its not until Duncan's marriage to Rebecca Dennis is there a mention of  hugh the shoemaker as being his father

Offline Carbostar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 November 19 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Ah yes sorry about that a typing error it should have been 1834 so sorry oops.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 November 19 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm. FS has a note of a family in the 1861 census in Hartlepool consisting of Ann Hunt, 38; William Hunt, 9; Hannah Hunt, 7; Dorothe Hunt, 5; Eliza Hunt, 3; Emma Hunt, 5.

The GRO has births of Mary Ann Hunt in 1847 in Sedgfield, William Hunt in 1851, Hannah Hunt in 1852, Emma Hunt in 1855 and Martha Hunt in 1857, all with mother's surname Dennis or Dinnis or Dinnes or similar.

In 1841 there's a family with John Dennis, 50; Hannah Dennis, 50, John Dennis, 30, Matthew Dennis, 15; Ann Dennis, 20; Rebecca Dennis, 3.

So is Rebecca the illegitimate daughter of Ann Dennis, who married John Hunt in 1845? If so, it demolishes my idea that maybe the Hunt siblings were Duncan's half siblings on his mother's side, his father having died.

Back to the drawing board, I think.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Carbostar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 November 19 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian that's how I understood it that Rebecca was illegitimate , I also have that Duncan died in 1887, so I'm not sure what went on there other than she must have remarried, you would think it would make things a bit easier having his birth and year he died, I have been sent a whole raft of Information on " Hugh" so I'm going to have a look at that !

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 November 19 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian that's how I understood it that Rebecca was illegitimate , I also have that Duncan died in 1887, so I'm not sure what went on there other than she must have remarried
Why do you think Rebecca remarried? She's in the 1891 census as Rebecca McGregor and there's a death of a Rebecca McGregor in Sunderland in 1895. Age is a couple of years out, but the chances are that it's her.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 November 19 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Ah yes sorry about that a typing error it should have been 1834 so sorry oops.

You have time to edit & correct it within 24 hrs (for future ref)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 27 November 19 22:51 GMT (UK) »
There is a couple who feature is someone else's family research, a Hugh McGregor and a Catherine Blair.

They look to have married in 1817. This tree quotes:

Scotland OPR Marriages 564/01 0040 0380 Greenock New or Middle; Hugh McGregor is a shoemaker

I can see two children for them in the OPRs:

A Mary born in 1826 www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X1SR-9QH also
A Peter born in 1829 www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X175-J61

The tree is connected to a descendent of Mary's. She married a Peter Boyle in Glasgow in 1844 and died in the Glasgow area in 1902.

All these events would be easy enough to veryfy on Scotlands People.

I cannot find them in 1841...but maybe something to follow through to check?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk