Author Topic: Still Looking for Uncle Tom Hawker went to Newfoundland  (Read 1254 times)

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
Re: Still Looking for Uncle Tom Hawker went to Newfoundland
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 November 19 23:03 GMT (UK) »
A big thank you to all of you who have responded.

It's a big problem to sort the wheat from the chaff!

I actually do not know where in our family tree Tom Hawker is placed. My husband was told stories and read letters from him c1946 by family members. I do have a William Thomas Hawker and a Thomas William Hawker but they appear to be unrelated.

I cannot find a marriage of Thomas Hawker and Anna Hordell. Did he go to Canada with children and marry Anna there? I cannot find his birth 1875 either. According to my father-in-law a friend of his was visiting Toronto and saw a funeral supposedly of Mr T Hawker but when I do not know. Or was this just a family story? Unfortunately there is nobody alive any longer to ask.

I like the little advertisement. Now there's a thought.

I will continue to research and ponder over what you have all so kindly put before me.

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 November 19 02:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I found an obit for Thomas William Hawker (I think this is the man from the 1911 census that was posted earlier...born in 1875 )   

Obit says he died on Feb 4 1938.  So- he can't be the man who sent letters to your family in 1946.  In case he fits in somewhere else...he died at his home 424 Victoria Park Ave.  Husband of the late Anna Catherine Kordell.  Father of Mrs Frederick Hogg, William Hawker, Mrs Allan MacDonald, Mrs John Marsh, Mrs Harold Matthews, Mrs Arthur Jeffries, and Harry Hawker.  Interment St. John's Cemetery.

I like the auto livery ad too.  Something to consider.  I have been looking for other references to this business, but I haven't found anything yet.   

RK

PS - Mrs Allan MacDonald was Gertrude Hawker.  She died before 1979 (mentioned in her husband's obit).  Mrs Fred Hogg was Anna Hawker (eldest daughter of Thomas).  Mrs John Marsh was Florence (I found their marriage notices in the papers).

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 November 19 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi RunKitty

Thank you again for the obit. Does it say anything about Thomas Hawker's origins, his place of birth, occupation etc., please?
Do you think he was married elsewhere than England as I cannot find a marriage on FreeBMD?

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 November 19 14:26 GMT (UK) »
I found another Thos Hawker in the 1930 Toronto directory:
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 November 19 15:12 GMT (UK) »
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 28 November 19 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you two also. I have just found Anna Kordell on the 1881 census in Hackney London, with her family but not the 1891 census. It stated somewhere on a Canadian census that her origin was German. I suspect a number of the Kordell family emigrated. I love history.

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 28 November 19 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Shaun
There is a Thomas Hawker, a Thomas W and a William T too! Thank you.

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 28 November 19 16:59 GMT (UK) »
This looks like burials in Canada for Anna's parents....

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/153897324/andreas-kordell

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 30 November 19 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your continued interest in this mystery. I love to see all these old documents but keep getting side-tracked with the foreign names and, presumably, the immigration to Canada and USA around that time. I wonder what happened to that German family (Kordells) and whether they made good, went to war, suffered loss etc. What a book could be written!

For the time being I will check on Tom Hawkers nearer to home. There must be a clue somewhere in the family tree giving rise to this story.

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire