Author Topic: Test your living ancestors while you can!  (Read 426 times)

Offline mrcakey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Test your living ancestors while you can!
« on: Wednesday 27 November 19 17:49 GMT (UK) »
The family legends that got me started in genealogy were: 1) that we're related to the "famous" playwright Stanley Houghton and 2) that we're descended from the Hoghtons of Hoghton Tower (landed gentry types).

I "proved" the former a while back (that was a good day after many months of research), but I'm still trying to prove the latter.

I have a tree that goes up (on the Houghton side) to my 3 x GGF with 100% confidence, to my 4 x GGF with about 95% confidence and to my 5 x GGF with about 60% confidence. Trouble is, NONE of my DNA matches proves the male line beyond my 1 x GGF.  ???

Then I asked my dad if I could manage his DNA results and filtered only those where Ancestry had identified a "common ancestor". After ploughing through dozens of matches on his mother's side and a few on his paternal grandmother's side, I finally found 2 matches that can only intersect on either my 5x GGF or 5 x GGM on the Houghton line. It's very exciting and - when I get time - I'm going to get back to digging that line with renewed vigour!  ;D

So, the moral of the story is, with the randomness of genetic inheritance, traces of DNA in your direct ancestors can go AWOL. If you're lucky enough to have living ancestors you can persuade to spit in a tube, please do so!
Houghton - Lancashire, inc. Manchester
Robertson - Angus
Collinge - Yorkshire, Lancashire, USA
Nedderman - Lancashire
Lane/Fryer - Kent

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Test your living ancestors while you can!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 November 19 18:34 GMT (UK) »
I agree!

Although I had just convinced my 1st cousin to allow my 96yo aunt do so, I had bought the kit and it was wrapped ready to post when I got a phone call she had died unexpectedly. She was the last member of my father's family and I feel it would had been really helpful separating my maternal link from paternal but not to be....

From matches to date and having some cousins also to compare too I can rule in and rule out some relationships and have made contact with some lines.

It is fascinating stuff
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Test your living ancestors while you can!
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 November 19 18:43 GMT (UK) »

I agree...

My 95 year old Mother tested earlier this year, - just before she died.

Her test has enabled me to split my Matches into Maternal/Paternal; which wouldn't have been possible before, - as my Father Died in the 1950's!

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.