Author Topic: Acronym used in a Service Description  (Read 518 times)

Offline Alex Edge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Acronym used in a Service Description
« on: Saturday 30 November 19 18:33 GMT (UK) »
In my research of the parishioners who served in the First World War and returned, I have come across an Acronym for which I have been unable to find an explanation on-line.  The person involved was a carpenter in civilian life, Ernest James Ottaway, born in 1889, his name appears in the 1918 list of Absent Voters from the parish (there is not an earlier list) and his entry reads: Private 501923 - L.C.N.C. Attd. X Co. Army Service Corp. I have not found any Service Record or Medal Card for Private Ottaway from the National Archive or Find my Past.  The acronym L.C.N.C. defies all my efforts.  Help please.

Thank you  - Alex Edge

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Acronym used in a Service Description
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 November 19 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Absent voters' lists were not completed by the military authorities and the entries are often a bowdlerised version of the proper military acronym.  The absence of a medal record for him suggests a home based soldier.  My suggestion is that it is Labour Centre Northern Command, more properly rendered as Northern Command Labour Centre.  The command Labour Centres (Northern Command was in Strensall and then Ripon) were the administrative units for certain Labour Corps units in their area and some individuals working with Infantry Labour battalions and the ASC Forage branch were posted to the Labour Centres themselves which may have been the case here.  (Source - No Labour No Battle).

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Alex Edge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Acronym used in a Service Description
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 December 19 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Max, thank you very much for your comprehensive response.  You have no doubt hit the nail squarely on the head, when I searched N.C.L.C. a cornucopia of responses pour out.  I’ve now also bought the book "No Labour, No Battle" to improve my understanding of the organisation of the Labour Corp.

Many thanks for your assistance - Alex Edge