Author Topic: New Hartley Poltergeist  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Cowpen Quay Exile

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New Hartley Poltergeist
« on: Monday 02 December 19 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Sometime in the 1960 s I seem to remember that  Poltergeist activity was reported as occurring in New Hartley . I believe the local press viz:-  Blyth News , sent a staff reporter but I can find no one who can recall the events . I think the man of the family worked at Bates Colliery was married and had a son .   

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: New Hartley Poltergeist
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 December 19 20:47 GMT (UK) »
This one is in Blyth in 1962:
Peter, the Poltergeist, rattles Blyth bars
Two of Blyth's main street public houses are being "visited" by one of the spookiest customers in years— Peter the poltergeist. Twice within 20 minutes Peter - as he Is becoming affectionately known—has displayed his tantrums In both the Railway Hotel and the Croft Arms, In Turner Street.. At 2.30 pm. yesterday' he "threw" a table lamp from the shelves of the Railway Bar. and smashed it to the floor. Astonished and mystified customers stared in bewilderment as the lone lamp hurtled from its resting place and thudded on to the concrete. Not a soul was within 6yards of the lamp at the time.

Will see if I can find anything for New Hartley.

Added:
Found poltergeiats also in Morpeth, Ashington, Gateshead and South Shields.

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
  • Man in his natural environment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 December 19 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Sure I remember a supposed haunting in Freehold Street, Blyth; probably early 70s.
Northumberland; Mann, Lynn, Waters, Pyle, Murray.   Yorkshire; Ellis, Heckison, Proctor.<br />Lincolnshire; Wilkinson, Dawson.<br />Cumberland; Doran, Murray. Cheshire; Sutton,

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 December 19 17:02 GMT (UK) »
CHARLIE, a ghost that goes bang in the night, is terrorising families in three houses in Bristol Street. New Hartley, near Blyth. Strange knocking on walls and doors sometimes far into the early morning—objects which move by themselves.....

(Newcastle Evening Chronicle 16 November 1961, page 9)

It was all happening at number 37 (which was furnished but unoccupied) and causing problems at numbers 36 and 38.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 December 19 21:51 GMT (UK) »
  The 1816 Rothbury Bible Census

Thropton:
Page 83.   Ann TURNBULL aged seventy-four is married to George TURNBULL, the Butcher. She goes to the Meeting though she says she has an aversion to the Church but at her age it is too far. She has one Testament and two Bibles, one of which one met a most extraordinary adventure. Her Husband, who is since dead, had taken a farm at Bornowtown but scarcely had they settled themselves in their new abode before a strange persecution was commenced by some invisible elf who broke all their things and threw about all their furniture in their presence, before their eyes, in open daylight without any apparent cause. the fame of this marvellous mystery was soon noised abroad and multitudes flocked to Bornowtown to witness the pranks of their mischevous eprite, among a

Page 84.   Presbyterian Minister who observing a Bible upon on of the shelves asked weather the demon had ever made free with that book. the old woman answered that she believed it was the only thing in the house which never had been moved. She had scarcely done speaking when she beheld the Bible leave its shelf and with and even motion throw itself at the Ministers feet, half across the room. She ran to catch it in its passage but was too late. The chains were often dropped upon her from the air, but though everything that was -----?------- was broken, she herself was never hurt. She suspected infernal agency but feared no harm to herself, which she was confident would not be permitted by the Govenor of the Universe, but the immediate agent was supposed to be the last tenant of the farm who was then in the house and the persecution ceased at his departure.
   Total: 1 Person, 2 Bibles, 1 Testament
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
  • Man in his natural environment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Cool :D. What was a bible census Malcolm, I don't recall hearing of one before?
Northumberland; Mann, Lynn, Waters, Pyle, Murray.   Yorkshire; Ellis, Heckison, Proctor.<br />Lincolnshire; Wilkinson, Dawson.<br />Cumberland; Doran, Murray. Cheshire; Sutton,

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Chempat for posting the Rothbury 1816 Bible Census links.    If only there were others like this for we get such an insight into life at that time.   Even if one doesn't have any Rothbury ancestors it is worth reading all the way through.     My Proudlock's are on page 11 in Swindon.  Doesn't tell me much more about them, except it looks like two families were living together, and I was able then to find a website that has a picture of the cottages and the surroundings.

Malcolm
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant.

There probably are a lot more things around, just we do not know about them and/or they are not on-line.