Author Topic: Stevenson family  (Read 3129 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Stevenson family
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 05 December 19 00:42 GMT (UK) »
STEVENSON Mary to RAMSAY George 1938 685/4 651 St Giles

Here’s the Mary and George Ramsay, and it lists her as a spinster.  It’s why I’m literally hoping someone sees the names and goes ‘aha! I have them in my tree! Here’s the scoop!’ Because I’m so confused now. I just can’t find anything

What are the details from the marriage, where, age, addresses, parents, mother's maiden name & witnesses?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 05 December 19 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Meanwhile, just incase you do a DNA test these may be useful?

Marriages;
HOLLINGWORTH REGINALD V & NUGENT MARION 1924
685/4 1279 St Giles

HOLLINGWORTH REGINALD VICTOR & LOCH MARGARET EUPHEM 1921
685/2 146 St Andrew (Edinburgh)

Death (age out a tad)?
HOLLINGWORTH REGINALD 72
GRUNNOW (mms)
396/ 3 Muckhart and Glendevon

VRs
HOLLINGWORTH SARAH ANN MRS Proprietor
HOUSE 21 EASTER ROAD EDINBURGH
VR010000377-

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Hogwartsgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 05 December 19 01:06 GMT (UK) »
In order to eliminate the possibility of him being registered twice can you say what the birth address was please? I have come across a death that was registered twice giving different names. One was by a son & the other by a nephew. Were the informants the mothers? What were their occupations? I think a father's name cannot be on a birth certificate of an illegitimate child unless he was there in person at the time of registration.
flst

The first one was Edinburgh, the second one with no father I am looking for the certificate. It is MIA in my files . I think I’m going to have to reorder it and see. It’s just so frustrating that I can’t find anything on this side of my family.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 05 December 19 01:28 GMT (UK) »
In order to eliminate the possibility of him being registered twice can you say what the birth address was please?

The first one was Edinburgh

Can you tell us where in Edinburgh, Street name & no. if it applies?

You will gain more info. from the supposed 2nd marriage i.e. an age, back to her birth from the info. on her parents, which may help with a possible birth year for William from her age?

Annie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 05 December 19 09:19 GMT (UK) »
In order to eliminate the possibility of him being registered twice can you say what the birth address was please? I have come across a death that was registered twice giving different names. One was by a son & the other by a nephew. Were the informants the mothers? What were their occupations? I think a father's name cannot be on a birth certificate of an illegitimate child unless he was there in person at the time of registration.
Correct.

It is possible for a birth to be registered twice. If the parents', or in the case of an illegitimate child the mother's, usual residence was in a registration district other than the one where the birth took place, the Registrar in the district of birth had to send the details to the Registrar in the district of residence, who then re-registered the birth there. However that should mean that the information on both certificates is identical.

The only thing I can think of is that following a paternity case the father's name was added to one of the certificates but for whatever reason that in formation was not transmitted to the other Registrar.

Will you please tell us the full details of all the information on both certificates?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 05 December 19 11:45 GMT (UK) »
" It is MIA in my files . I think I'm going to have to reorder it and see."

If the certificate was obtained through scotlandspeople you won't have to reorder.  You should be able to view it online.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 05 December 19 12:19 GMT (UK) »
" It is MIA in my files . I think I'm going to have to reorder it and see."

If the certificate was obtained through scotlandspeople you won't have to reorder.  You should be able to view it online.
flst

Not in this case flst as it's within the 100 yr restriction period, b 1921 i.e. won't be online until 2021

Annie

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 05 December 19 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Rosinish, thanks for reminding me of the date!
flst :-[
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 05 December 19 17:03 GMT (UK) »
it's within the 100 yr restriction period, b 1921 i.e. won't be online until 2021
Er ... probably not until January 2022. They release them in yearly batches.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.