Author Topic: Stevenson family  (Read 3149 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Stevenson family
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 05 December 19 20:22 GMT (UK) »

Here’s the Mary and George Ramsay, and it lists her as a spinster. 

Sounds like you have viewed the image of this 1938 marriage? If so, what was this Mary's age? Her parents' names?

If she was Arthur's mother, with Arthur born in 1921, this Mary marrying in 1938 would need to be at least in her mid to late 30s.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 05 December 19 20:27 GMT (UK) »
As has been commented, from Arthur's marriage, his mother's maiden name is certainly not Davidson. Have you got a sharper image of this cert? If not, you can contact SP and they can send you an enhance image which often help enormously where writing is hard to make out.

However, if Arthur was being creative with his parents' names to cover illegitimacy, what shows on his wedding registration for mother's maiden name and father's details are irrelevant.

You mention that you found (looking for?) the cert from 1921 which showed mother as Mary Stevenson. I am confused by something. The 2 birth certs you mention, do they both show the birth date of 11 December 1921 and mother Mary Stevenson? What about the time of birth on the day? Other details?

There is only though one birth in Midlothian. Where was the other one you are discussing?

Monica

Offline Hogwartsgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 04 January 20 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone I ended up finding William! He was born in 1912 and died in 1980. Arthur Stevenson’s mother is Mary Stevenson, which is her maiden name. The Dow last name that is used is Mary’s mothers maiden name Annie Dow. So far as I can see she never married but I’m trying to track down a death certificate now. Sorry for not replying I own a business and the holiday season was crazy busy (yay!) and just got back into tracking this week. It was a crazy week of discovery!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 05 January 20 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Sounds like you have pushed through there. Well done!

Good that you have been crazy busy over Xmas too  ;)

Monica

Offline Hogwartsgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 05 January 20 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Yes. I own 4 copies of William Stevenson’s birth certificates that were the wrong ones. I’m on a roll now tracking the family! Thank you all for your ideas and support it was nice to have a group of people as interested in tracing ancestors as I am!