Author Topic: Ruth Griggs  (Read 806 times)

Offline Yorkyboyl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ruth Griggs
« on: Wednesday 04 December 19 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
   I hope someone may be able to assist with some details regarding the above person, please.
   There is a wedding in Feb. 1813 in Colchester, Essex, between a William Raine and Ruth Griggs, both shown  OTP. I cannot find any other details about Ruth, but there have been several connections made to William being born in North Yorkshire in 1782, and in the 1851 census William's wife Ruth is just shown as born Essex. Can anyone help me put two and two together, it looks as though they could be the one and same couple, but I don't see a reason why William should be so far from home, and why there doesn't seem to be anything other details concerning Ruth, although there are "Griggs " marriages in the area.
  Any help much appreciated, Thanks     

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Ruth Griggs
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 December 19 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen the 1841 entry - both aged 50 and living in Durham so BY between 1791-1794.  However - in 1851 she is 70 and still in Durham.  She died 1859 aged 80 so BY about 1779

How old was William when he died?  There are 9 deaths in the Teesdale RD for that name between 1841-1851
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 December 19 16:35 GMT (UK) »
The only Ruth Griggs I can find in Essex was baptised 1768 St Mary the Virgin Elsenham
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 December 19 12:30 GMT (UK) »
That Ruth may have married 13 Oct 1788 Elsenham to Robert Speller
(FreeREG)

Anc has a Burial of Ruth Speller 4 Mar 1839 Elsenham age 73 (1766)   

There are several other Griggs Marriage a few years either side of Ruths 1813 in Colchester.
It may be worth finding them in Census to see where they say they are born and when.
(FreeREG)
Also Ruth signed with a X on Marriage so her surname may be varied Greiggs.Grigg/Grig etc
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 December 19 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi
You should also know Colchester was a big Army town.

It may be that William Raine had joined up.
There is a William Raine born 1777 in Staindrop Durham discharged from the army 1819(but he's on the 1841 census)
William Raines City of York Militia 1808 farmer's servant

His age would help

Whittling down the death using the Gro index 1841-1851
William Raine died Mar 1847 buried 22nd Jan Romaldkirk born 1781
                    died Sep 1847 same place burial 22 Sep 1847  born 1784
William Raine Sep qtr  buried 9.7.1849 Heighington age 77 born 1781 (Gravestone has survived so you could take a look)
William Ruine/Ranine Sep 1849 age 69 born 1783

There is a death duty entry for William Raine  of Gainford 1849 executor Thomas Raine which seems most likely.
So birth 1781-83

Ciderdrinker

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 December 19 14:08 GMT (UK) »
There is a Yorkshire connection;

Christenings;   
Romaldkirk, Yorkshire
WILLIAM 5 May 1816 (birth 14 March 1814)
HENRY 5 May 1816
RUTH 8 March 1818
TABITHA 8 March 1818
TABITHA 13 Oct 1822
Abode Mickleton, Parents WILLIAM/RUTH
(Familysearch.Org)

FreeREG;
Chapelry of Barnard Castle, Gainford, Durham
MARY 28 Jul 1824
GEORGE DENT or DENTON 20 Jul 1832
Abode Barnard Castle, Parents WILLIAM/RUTH, Father a Cordwainer****

So group or late Bapts for some of the children..

Its hard to pin down Williams age at death as there are several possibles 1841-1851 on Gro from age 63-80.
(just looked at Teesdale Regs)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 December 19 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi
William Raine death July 1849 at Heighton is not the right one.
Sorry I tracked down his probate in Durham archives index and that man was a rich farmer.
So it looks like he was buried in Romaldskirk in 1847.
But still 2 choices.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Yorkyboyl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 December 19 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
 Thanks for the response, I had not come across the Ruth born in 1768, but would have discarded her as I  believe William and Ruth had children between 1814, (William) and 1827 (George), which would have been unlikely given Ruth's age. I had not made a connection between William being in the military, although Colchester has a history as such....something I may need to follow up, although what little I know about the Regiment of Foot, I understood it to be more of a 'local' affair, with regiments peculiar to a local district rather than a national force...maybe I'm wrong.
 As you say, there are a lot of William Raines in the Romaldkirk/Mickleton/ Barnard castle area....If my facts are correct, my ancestor was christened 17/3/1782, the second child of William and Tabitha (nee Dent)...which lends support to some of their children's names.
  The 1841 census shows the couple both age 50 ?, living in Barnard Castle, the 1851 census shows Ruth age 70, Head of Household, pauper, living same town, and  I have Ruth buried 16/12/1859 in Barnard Castle. Also in amongst my many notes I have a William Raine buried May 1850 there...sounds convincing, but not certain given the number of people in the area with the same name.
  I think I am getting a little closer, if any of these later bits are useful in narrowing the search it would be good.  Many thanks.
  Brian