Author Topic: Convoy, Co. Donegal  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Convoy, Co. Donegal
« on: Friday 06 December 19 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am Scotland based, but with a family tree that is  as far as I have found out, close to 100 % of irish origin, though my ancestors have been here for anything from close to 200 - 145 years. So the most recent arrival was a great grandmother who arrived on her own, from Clifden, County Galway in the early 1870's.

Most of my other ancesters were incomers from further north in Ireland, however!  Because they came here so long ago, like many I have been able, quickly, to trace most lines back to the parents of babies born after 1855 civil registration began (here in Scotland), or using deaths from that date, to their parents ( as both birth and death certificates, as well as marriage certificates ask, for parental details in Scotland, that is also both parents, not just the paternal side).

So, within 3-6 months of hard work, back in 2009- 2010, I managed to find good record evidence for the direct line, on most branches, back to in and around 1800, and in a couple of cases, slightly further back.   However, beyond that, in Ireland, I have found very little record evidence, for people who left Ireland significantly before civil registration began there for the catholic majority, and because, for the church records from before then, you really needed to have definite information about exactly where they came from ( ie parish and townlands), to have any chance of success!

I have spent the last 8-9 years, filling out my tree, thickening up those branches, with 'other family' for which census records have been invaluable. I have delved into genetic genealogy too, and found new cousins , near and far, but who like me, know not very much about life back in Ireland, and where in Ireland that was! Any way, after that pre-amble, to my point, finally!

One particular curiosity,was my Convoy branch, a pretty unusual name, for which there are few entries at Scotlands People, either now or in the past.  My furthest back Convoy, John, who married his wife Sarah-Jane ( at a very young age!) in 1857 in Monklands Lanarkshire, said on the 1861 census he was born in Louth, which was great really, as the normal requirement for the census for someone born in Ireland , was, well, Ireland. However I have recently discovered the village of Convoy in Co. Donegal, and wonder if that name has given us people, with that name as a surname, in that area?

I found a very large group of 'unknown' but linked matches, through both my, and my fathers dna results, that I finally linked to my Convoy branch, recently.   If the Convoy village has people with the Convoy surname, then that might be a route to investigating where the link began.

So can anyone help me, are there Convoys, living near, or originating from Convoy, County Donegal??

My Ancestry ethnicity results highlights Donegal and specifically the Innishowan peninsula (ie not covering Convoy village), though that is not unusual for scots of irish origin, as most incomers to Scotland, came from Ulster, across the north channel from Scotland.

So, any help on Convoys, from Convoy, Co. Donegal, would be great!

This query is based on the knowledge that when surnames began being used, local place names were one of the sources used, along with jobs (eg Baker), & descriptors (Longbottom - sorry, cant think of a better one at the moment!).

Thanks Jane
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Convoy, Co. Donegal
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 December 19 15:37 GMT (UK) »
In case you don't have it, this is the location of the civil parish of Convoy, Co Donegal.
https://www.townlands.ie/donegal/convoy2/

Click in to see the village of Convoy, in the east of the parish and just west of the larger village of Raphoe. Note that it is the Inishowen peninsula.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 December 19 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thank you KG. I did know where the village of Convoy was situated (though only very recently).  The map indicating the Inishowen ( sorry only 1 n, I see, and an e) peninsula, on Ancestry does not come any where as far south, it cuts across east and North of Inch, and north of Derry. I'm guessing that is not necessarily an authoratative definition then!

Just for complete clarity for me, are you saying that Convoy, Raphoe, or both, are considered on the Inishowen peninsula??

Thanks Jane

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 December 19 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Nope...

Raphoe and Convoy are south-west of the city of Londonderry.

The Inishowen peninsula lies north of Derry city.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 December 19 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Try the name here
https://www.johngrenham.com/surnames/
appears to be a variation of Conway, more likely Convoy got it's name from someone called Convoy rather than the other way around.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 December 19 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Both the 1901 and 1911 Irish census have no Convoys registered in the county of Donegal.

1901 census: https://tinyurl.com/wv5v9jn

1911 census: https://tinyurl.com/uomb53n

KG

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 December 19 19:37 GMT (UK) »
So, it may well not be as simple as that then!!

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 December 19 20:15 GMT (UK) »
By which I meant, Convoys fron Convoy!

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 December 19 12:20 GMT (UK) »
have a look on donegal recources

http://www.donegalgenealogy.com

then click on Convoy Parish  Convoy is mention but could not find family of convoy.

convoy mention on church record for Dublin. Kerry, Sligo etc. donegel?

http://www.irishgenealogy.ie

Conway or Conaway