Author Topic: Engilly or Angila  (Read 1535 times)

Offline Kat_C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Engilly or Angila
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 12 December 19 16:08 GMT (UK) »
You are a miracle worker. That sounds exactly what I was expecting- dates to be off, but something that sounded approximately right for James' last name.  I also noticed he was called John when Mary died, but it is common for daughters to forget names then.  I think the marriage to John sounds right.  James was apparently not from the area as there are no other similar surnames around.  The priest probably wasn't familiar with the name and someone took a guess at spelling.  I can't believe you found it.  I was staring yesterday at the records in Cork noting the Bowler concentrations and Anglins coincided in very few places. None of those church records covered the right times.  However,  Ennisly has a much closer tie to Engilly than Anglin.   There is a Francis Ansley who has some promise as an offspring 1843.

James sounds good.  There should be more, I would think.  Possibly Margaret is a cousin of Johanna, not a sister, but I think she is a close relative.   

Thanks for so much work.  I use irishgenealogy for civil records after 1865 as most of my mother's family was from Armagh area and never thought it had more to offer.  I am just beginning to explore my father's Sullivans and Engillys after realizing most of my DNA matches take me to his family (so far mostly his mother's well documented English side.) I'm so excited at your discovery.

Offline Kat_C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Engilly or Angila
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 12 December 19 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Francis is a washout- James Ansley and Bridget Rividen, but may signify that a cousin moved to the area.