Author Topic: Mystery Man Edward Townsend Foley  (Read 6984 times)

Offline odysseyov

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Man Edward Townsend Foley
« Reply #171 on: Wednesday 11 December 19 09:31 GMT (UK) »

Maud Alice was laid to rest in the Presbyterian Section of Rookwood in December 1882.  To save everyone going back through this thread, it is 6B, Zone A,  4244 as per Rookwood General's website
http://www.rookwoodcemetery.com.au/deceased-search-engine

[/quote]

JM and Sparret thanks for comments.

Is it usual for the undertaker (Walker Stewart) or the cemetery to make a mistake about date of burial?   According to death Certificate Maud Alice was buried 5th December 1882 - Cemetery web-site claims Maud Minton burial as 3rd.   Of course handwritten 3 and 5 can be mistaken.   I hadn't noticed it with the other dc's but I guess it depends on the undertakers?   I think JM suggested babe was buried with an adult?   Any idea who?   
Date of Burial :
3 Dec 1882
Plot : Presbyterian 6B_Zone A/#/4244

Thanks for the info re rates - it was wishful and wistful thinking that Mary and her baby were at least buried together.
It's a pity nothing matched with the 32 year old who turned out to be Anastasia.
I'm waiting to  hear from State archives about Mary O'Neil who happens to be the same age as MM; she was admitted to the Newington Hospital a couple of times and died (possibly) in St. Vincent's;  the death notices don't mention family but Mrs O'Neil seems to have had good friends - if it is all the same person.
Yes, JM musicians could make a respectable living, and brass bands were popular during mid-late Victorian era so it doesn't surprise about Hense.   Thomas also owned a house in Greymouth NZ - but was obliged to sell it to cover debts when he foolishly took on the management of Mac's Hotel as a venue for his music.   German bands are a little different to the kind of music in theatres, though.
I've finally unearthed my bundle of papers from when I began researching the family history;  back in 2004 I printed up reams of information trying to find concrete links.   Some of it is going to save me time when I put it all together and I do have an almost complete picture now with research backing up family stories and information.   I do like to be certain of the links - but Mary is still elusive.    Someone suggested it was cheaper to get a transcription service to provide certificates;  any recommendations?
I think my tablet is about to die ...  ??? 

MINTON, MURPHY,  SHEPHARD/SHEPHERD, WHITEOAK, WONNOCOTT,
WOOD, HARRIS.

Offline odysseyov

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Man Edward Townsend Foley
« Reply #172 on: Wednesday 11 December 19 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Back online.
Grateful for all the tips - but finding MM's birth cert and her parents (which I do intend to do) won't unfortunately tell me what happened to her and where she ended her days - which is really my main focus.   I'd like to be able one day to visit her grave and lay flowers there - just to let her know that in a different era the indomitable spirit evident in some of her publicly reported actions is respected, although in the end it may have led to her undoing.
So I will keep looking for connections to the end of M's life and if this involves Foleys or Flecthers or Cooneys or Mintons - and more hours of sifting through records - so be it.   
 :) :) :)
MINTON, MURPHY,  SHEPHARD/SHEPHERD, WHITEOAK, WONNOCOTT,
WOOD, HARRIS.