Author Topic: Mystery Man Edward Townsend Foley  (Read 7003 times)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Man Edward Townsend Foley
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 08 December 19 03:09 GMT (UK) »
There is another one as per tree I posted:

Edward Townsend Foley was born circa 1850.
Marriage*: He married Marie Nicholina Rennan circa 1870

Jamjar

I wonder if that is same man with dob incorrect, as in 1905 directory there is Rennan H T Foley living at 69 Brown street.

H = Hugo, T = Townsend

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 08 December 19 03:23 GMT (UK) »
There is another one as per tree I posted:

Edward Townsend Foley was born circa 1850.
Marriage*: He married Marie Nicholina Rennan circa 1870

Jamjar

I wonder if that is same man with dob incorrect, as in 1905 directory there is Rennan H T Foley living at 69 Brown street.

H = Hugo, T = Townsend

It's the 1850 one:

Deaths: 14763/1919 FOLEY Marie N mother DOROTHEA S BALMAIN NORTH

16238/1923 FOLEY Rennan H T parents EDWARD T and MARIE N DRUMMOYNE

19262/1970 FOLEY Grace Matilda parents EDWARDand MARIE NICHOLINA ST LEONARDS

At Field of Mars Cemetery:

FOLEY N MARIA
Church of England, Section DD, 11

FOLEY H T RENNAR
FOLEY M M DOROTHY (This is his daughter who died 1922)
Church of England, Section DD, 136

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 08 December 19 03:30 GMT (UK) »
But the civil service one was clearly born 1831
And his burial is def from 69 Brown street

And Rennan Foley is at 69 Brown street the following year
And Rennan was in civil service too as a junior clerk started October 1890. He probably got his father the job as a messenger later the same year.

So did Edward Townsend Foley marry twice.   What is the evidence for the 1850 birth date?
They have the other birth date incorrect.

OR. They could be father and son I suppose

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 08 December 19 03:37 GMT (UK) »
But the civil service one was clearly born 1831
And his burial is def from 69 Brown street

And Rennan Foley is at 69 Brown street the following year
And Rennan was in civil service too as a junior clerk started October 1890. He probably got his father the job as a messenger later the same year.

So did Edward Townsend Foley marry twice.   What is the evidence for the 1850 birth date?
They have the other birth date incorrect.

OR. They could be father and son I suppose

May I offer  some excellent resources, free to search, easily found live links at our RChat NSW resources board :

I am of course referring to the City of Sydney which has an excellent Archives, and many of their records are available online, so no need to sign in or pay a subscription. 

Sands Directories are mentioned at RChat’s NSW Resources Board here :   
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=369703.msg5267800#msg5267800

Assessment Books are mentioned at RChat’s NSW Resources Board here https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=374835.msg2482223#msg2482223

Here is link to NSW State Library’s mention of Sands Directories https://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/blogs/sands-directory-completely-digitised-city-sydney-archives

Add : here is direct link to City of Sydney Archives :
https://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/history/archives

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline odysseyov

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 08 December 19 03:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mckha489 and Jamjar,
The person I am looking for is a Mary who was definitely living at 20 Exeter place, Off Elizabeth Street Sydney - rate assessments show the property was rented by Edward Foley -  in 1882.   She had an illegitimate child  in 1882 who died at 4 mths from congenital syphillis - had been separated from her husband for some 4 years and does not appear anywhere under her husband's name after the separation.   She may or may not have had some connection with the Edward Foleys you mention and I think they probably were father and son ...???   
Majm I tried Sands Directories - But I will try again.  Also have queries in to nsw records.   Any way of checking the electoral rolls for 1882?   All help, conjecture and suggestions gratefully received and faithfully followed ... 
MINTON, MURPHY,  SHEPHARD/SHEPHERD, WHITEOAK, WONNOCOTT,
WOOD, HARRIS.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 08 December 19 03:50 GMT (UK) »
Best place to get help with the Electoral Rolls for 1880s is via the NSW State Library Ask a Librarian, my hardcopy set are with one of my ancient rellies up in New England district of NSW, and they are involved in sorting some of the paperwork for the many of those who are affected by drought at the moment.   

https://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/research-and-collections/ask-librarian

Ummmm...  I will check through Sands again too.  When you have address it can sometimes be sensible to look through the Suburban sets rather than the Alphabetical by surname sets.  All are there at City of Sydney versions....

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 08 December 19 03:59 GMT (UK) »
Sands Suburban looking for 69 Brown St Paddington.

Not yet up to that number in the 1894 Sands… 

Suburban 1895   (it’s part 4)

Aghaaaaa

Brown St West side
……
63  PARKER Samuel
65 FOLEY E Townsend
67 LLOYD C F W ‘Benton’
69 BROWN A H ‘Jesmont’
And then Glenview Street 

So in 1894 (closing date for Sands was the October of the year before publications) and at 65 Brown St, E Townsend FOLEY.

JM

Offline odysseyov

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 08 December 19 04:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Majm,
I've found the alpha entries for Foleys in Sands 1882
Foley,  Brothers  (Bartholomew   Foley,   Stephen   Foley),   prodnco    mer-chants,  113,115  Sussex st Foley,  Dennis A.,  Farramatta  old rd, Glebe Foley, E. T., lessee, Outer  Domain  Foley, John, Hutchinson  st, St. Poters Foley, John,  28 Edward  st  Foley, John, quarrymon,  Bclnioro st, Balmain Foley,  J no.,  gardener,  North st, Leich-hardt Foley, John, Albemarle st, Newtown Foley,  John J.,  171 Cumberland  st  Foley,  L.,Foley's  hotel, Hi) York  st  Foley,  Mrs. Mary,  Forest st, Glebe For Foloy,  M., waterman,  0 Carahor  lano  Foley, Patrick, Harris  st  Foley, Kobcrt  W., A'ational  hotel,  18  Bridge st Foley, Stephen, polico sergeant, 18 Railway  placo  Foley, William, boilermaker,  Georgo  st,  Waterloo  ---nary an Edward amongst them. 20 Exeter place is shown as page 45 - but I can't find page 45 and don't know what it would tell me if it did.   I'll try the ask a librarian link ... ;)
MINTON, MURPHY,  SHEPHARD/SHEPHERD, WHITEOAK, WONNOCOTT,
WOOD, HARRIS.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 08 December 19 04:15 GMT (UK) »
City of Sydney Assessments 1882 has several entries for Edward FOLEY.   I wonder though if any or all are actually E Townsend FOLEY.   

Anyway
20 Exeter Place, the tenant is Edward FOLEY as that is the person being rated (yes, back in that era, the tenant paid the rates direct to council rather than as some mysterious fee included in the weekly rent from the landlord). The owner or landlord was William FLETCHER, it was a house (one of quite a few that Wm FLETCHER was collecting rent from).  It was a brick house, shingled roof, two floors, 3 rooms and valued at £26 p.a. for rates purposes.

JM