Author Topic: I can't find the death...between January 1896 and May 1900. Tearing hair out.  (Read 1519 times)

Offline Leashl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Hi All,

I wonder if someone can help me find the death of William Henry Hutchinson, born 1834 Crowhurst, Sussex, last known living residence 7 Croydon St, Marylebone in 1896. His occupation was a butler which took him all over the country having worked in London, Richmond, Kent, Wellingborough, Manchester, Brighton, Nottinghamshire.

I've searched and searched. Marylebone seems the most likely as his son Frederick Harry married a neighbour Louisa Muchmore in Croydon St but who knows! If anyone can help or direct me to resources I would be very grateful. Thank you.
Hutchinson - Sussex; Underwood - Marylebone; Ensor - Marylebone; Bemmer - Middlesex/Prussia; Groocock - Husbands Bosworth; Hale - Stanstead Abbotss/Brentford; Price - Middlesex;

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: I can't find the death...between January 1896 and May 1900. Tearing hair out.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 December 19 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Son Frederick married Laura Louisa Muchmore in 1896.  The fact that William Is not shown as deceased on the marriage cert cannot be taken as a fact

Can you explain how you arrived at the date 1900 and where you got his 1896 address from?

Is he in Bedfordshire in 1891?  If so - birthyear is shown as 1842

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: I can't find the death...between January 1896 and May 1900. Tearing hair out.
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 December 19 19:16 GMT (UK) »
He is in many trees on Ancestry, most without death.

As he is down as aged 49 in 1891 then that would explain why several pick this death for him, as a compromise age:

Deaths September quarter  1897 
William Hutchinson age  58    in Marylebone   

Offline Leashl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 December 19 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help. The death aged 58 in Marylebone is incorrect - that person was a railway telegraph operator (linesman) definitely not a butler.

In 1900 he is marked as Deceased at his other sons wedding (William Leopold/Sophia Jess. The 1895 address of Croydon St is from the death cert of his daughter Louisa. The Muchmore's are at 10 Croydon St. In 1896 at his sons Frederick Harry/Laura Muchmore wedding the address given for them is Luton St, Marylebone. On pages before and after of his sons wedding "Deceased" are recorded.

He was in Bedford Prison in 1891 and the age is incorrect compared with the other census and records I have. He was definitely born in 1834.
Hutchinson - Sussex; Underwood - Marylebone; Ensor - Marylebone; Bemmer - Middlesex/Prussia; Groocock - Husbands Bosworth; Hale - Stanstead Abbotss/Brentford; Price - Middlesex;

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 December 19 02:04 GMT (UK) »
The 1895 address of Croydon St is from the death cert of his daughter Louisa.

Does this imply William H was the informant i.e. no longer in prison & was he still working as a Butler?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 December 19 02:21 GMT (UK) »
If he was sent to prison then what for? Theft, violent crimes, crimes involving alcohol would not be good when presenting references to a new employer. 

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 December 19 02:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help. The death aged 58 in Marylebone is incorrect - that person was a railway telegraph operator (linesman) definitely not a butler.

Who was the informant of that death?

What is his age on each census, does it vary?

If his age varied on census' then it's likely his age may be wrong on his death too?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Leashl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 December 19 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Rosinish. BarryD, yes, he was still working as a butler.

Annie, The informant of the 58 year old was George Thomas, Coroner. The deceased had a Chiswick address not Marylebone. His age only varies by a couple of years by census.

Thanks.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 December 19 16:08 GMT (UK) »
I was just reading about the case in Bedford. He was butler to a Mr E K Karslake at Turvey, and stole from him 2 dozen knives, 5 pairs of boots and 4 shirts. He admitted guilt and was given one month's hard labour. he was described as "an elderly man" in the Bedfordshire Mercury of 4 April 1891.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk