Author Topic: Richard Lewis buried at Llandyfeisant Church  (Read 377 times)

Offline cjc1867

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Lewis buried at Llandyfeisant Church
« on: Sunday 08 December 19 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am researching the graves at Llandyfeisant Church in Llandeilo and I have hit a brick wall or I am researching the wrong people.

I have a map of the known graves and a document that gives the grave number and head stone inscription compiled in 1986 by Dyfed Wildlife Trust.

The inscription is only partial but it does name 2 people by first name and surname a Richard Lewis and Mary Lewis. The other 3 people are a William, Sarah and a boy ?? Lewis aged 16.

I have also got the burial register which I downloaded off either Ancestry or Find My Past. This is not needed really as the people mentioned can be found using a family tree site. Anyhow I have searched through the burial register and can not find the 3 people mentioned without a surname as I took it that the last 2 to be buried are Lewis so maybe William and Sarah were Lewis as well.

Partial Grave inscription:
Sacred
To the memory of
William …
who died …
… also
Sarah …
The …
Upper by …
The …
… also
… 2
Richard Lewis of Llandeilo
who … 10 … 1?61
Aged 62
also in the memory of Mary Lewis
… the Boy … Lewis
who departed this … 2265
… aged 16 years

As you can see with the inscription above that it isn't complete and a lot of guesswork is needed.

The burial register says Richard Lewis (age 62) and Mary Lewis (49) lived on Carmarthen Street, Llandeilo. Richard Lewis was buried on 16th December 1861 and Mary Lewis buried 1st June 1865.

From here I would search the 1861 Census and back with Richard Lewis living in Llandeilo.

That is all the information I have been given so if it is possible could someone or people use this information given above and see what information you can gather so that we can compare with what I have got.

Thanks

Colin

Offline cjc1867

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Lewis buried at Llandyfeisant Church
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 December 19 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Brick Wall might have been Solved....

Since there was no other Lewis's in the burial register, it was suggested that Richard Lewis could be in his wife's family grave.

His wife to be was Mary Beavan and looking through the burial register there was a William Beavan who died in 1847.  I looked at the 1841 Census and found a William, Sarah and Mary Beavan in Oxford Street, Swansea and they weren't born in that county.

On Find My Past, I created the Family Tree and added what I knew and it gave quite a number of hints. It turns out that these were the correct people I was looking for as William's father was Lawrence Crew Beavan, Gentleman and from London.

I had a look in the old newspapers and it gave William as a Spirit Merchant, Swansea and when he died he was a Spirit Merchant in Llandeilo on Carmarthen Street. His sister Mary Lewis now married was living on Carmarthen Street with her other sister Elizabeth Beavan.

So after thinking on my part that the family grave was for Lewis's as 2 surnames were mentioned was totally wrong but I would still like to see what the full inscription was in case there are other people buried there or just remembered as in a memorial to that person. The inscription would also prove who's grave it is but it is hard to read.

On to another grave that has a partial inscription and again only got some first names near the top and some full names at the bottom. I should tackle this one in the same way and not assume it's for what other family names appear.

Thanks for looking.

Colin