Author Topic: Names in The Family  (Read 2511 times)

Offline 2mi3museum

• RootsChat Extra
  • E-museum of a Greek, Armenian and Italian family
    • View Profile
Names in The Family
« on: Monday 09 December 19 07:45 GMT (UK) »
Have you ever checked the origins of the names in your family? From whom did they receive and why?

Here in this post i would like to share with you some stories of the names in our family.

I hope you will enjoy....:)

https://www.2mi3museum.com/namesinfamily
Vafiadis, Sanzoni, Daravanoglu, Koskeri, Akasi, Koulurgioti

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Names in The Family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 December 19 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Ever since I saw his name on my grandmother's memorial plaque I wondered how her late husband had acquired the middle name Sedcole. Three or four years ago I finally started to try and find out. That's what got me started on this crazy pastime. It was the surname of his mother's sister's husband

Martin

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 December 19 11:25 GMT (UK) »
There are lots of Simeons in my father's paternal side, I had an uncle, grandfather and gt grandfather with the name. My gt gt grandfather's brother was also Simeon. My gt gt grandfather had 7 siblings so lots of children born and several more Simeons going through generations to my father's generation. Two Simeons went to WW1, my grandfather being the one that came home.

I have found my 3rd gt grandmother had a brother Simeon born 1803 but he didn't make 1841 census or any other that I can find. Looks like the Simeon name comes from my 3rd gt grandmother's family. All her male siblings have biblical names. Simeon (New Testament) met Joseph and Mary when Jesus was taken to the temple when he was 40 days old. Simeon  (Old Testament) the son of Jacob and Leah and leader of the Simeon Tribe one of the 12 tribes of Israel. Different Simeons crop up occasionally in both testaments.

Perhaps I had very religious 4th gt grandparents or perhaps if I get back past them I may find others in the family.

My husband's family used Tennant as a middle name quite often, my father in law's eldest brother bore the middle name Tennant - he died young. He would have been my husband's uncle. I had to go back to a lady born in 1781 (OHs 3rd gt grandmother) to find a Tennant marrying into the family.
GEDmatch M157477

guest189040

« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 December 19 11:33 GMT (UK) »
When I started to research my family tree I started to find that Surnames were often used as forenames.

So I have family members with the surnames Ewbank, Thompson and Collins as there middle names and this can go on for two or three generations.

On my Wife’s tree she has the name Sewell in there and that frequently turns up as a middle forename. 

There is even a person who is still alive so I will call her Grace BELL SEWELL Grey (Grace and Grey are fictitious) so this lady gets two Surnames in her actual name.  We are still trying to find who the Bell line is but USA online records are very much hit and miss.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 December 19 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Bell may not have been a surname, it is quite a common forename.

One set of my 3x great grandparents had eleven children, ten of them all have surnames as middle names.

It seems quite a common practice in Kent, although it also occurs in other branches and  areas on both sides of my tree.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 December 19 12:17 GMT (UK) »
It's very common in the NE to use surnames as first and middle names ... also in Scotland.  :)

In fact there are lots of Bells in those areas too.

One of the families I was researching had 11 children and all were given the same middle name (which was their mother's maiden name).

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 December 19 12:19 GMT (UK) »
I have always known that my paternal grandad's 2nd middle name was Mockridge.

It wasn't till I started doing my family history over 30 years ago,that I discovered that was his mothers maiden name.A far easier name to trace than our family name of Rogers  ::)

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 December 19 12:22 GMT (UK) »
In my paternal line there is 6 generations of "Francis Drake Waldron Wheaton"s

The first one was my 3xgreat grandfather born in 1795 and the last I have traced born 1937 (a 3rd cousin once removed)

The Waldrons married into the Wheatons 2 generations before the first FDWW was born (my 5xgreat-grandparents), and the Drakes into the Waldrons a generation before that (my 6xgreat grandparents) in 1729.
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 December 19 12:40 GMT (UK) »
One of my North East England ancestors has the surname Ogle as a middle name.

I also have several generations of Lancelot without going too far back. That would be a fine name. I wonder why it died out.

Martin