Author Topic: Sylvester Carnegie's Descendants  (Read 1266 times)

Offline Sneff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Sylvester Carnegie's Descendants
« on: Monday 09 December 19 19:31 GMT (UK) »
On page 396 of Fraser's Book The Earls of Southesk and their Ilk, it reads "David fifthe Earl of Northesk, died at Ethie on 24th June 1741and buried in family vault in Inverkeillor Church on June 30th. Dying unmarried, he was succeeded by his brother George Carnegie.

A footnote reads as follows "David fith Earl of Northesk had, by Isabel Rarity, a natural son, Sylvester who was born on 16th of January 1732, and married Margaret Peter on 9th June 1755. Their children were three sons and one daughter-James, John, William, and Anna. Descendants of these children reside in Arbroath. -Original Letter from the Rev. John Aitken of St. Vigeans, 20th Jan. 1784, at Ethie.

Does anybody have any information on the four children and their descendants.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Sylvester Carnegie's Descendants
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 December 19 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Can you tell us whether/where you've already searched & any info. you already have?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 December 19 02:02 GMT (UK) »
"Sylvester who was born on 16th of January 1732, and married Margaret Peter on 9th June 1755. Their children were three sons and one daughter-James, John, William, and Anna"

All b St. Vigeans

Elizabeth 1756
James 1757
Janet 1759
Unnamed 1762

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Sneff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 December 19 02:39 GMT (UK) »
I have searched Scotlandspeople and online trees and I have some possible lines.
The main name I am interested in and have the baptism record for is James Carnegie baptised in St Vigeans in 1757. He seems to have married a Jean Taylor in Dunnotta in 1777 (I have the marriage record) and had four children . He then married an Isobel Hill about 1792 (can't find the marriage record) and then died in 1796. He had three children with Isobel, the last one (James) was baptized after he died. The book Susan Carnegie 1744-1821 Her Life of Service by A A Cormack mentions him. He was a tide waiter. I have been looking for some record of his employment with success.
I think that James married a Margaret Gourlay in 1821. The whole family migrated to either Canada of Australia post 1851.

Offline Sneff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 December 19 02:40 GMT (UK) »
oops - without success

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 December 19 03:05 GMT (UK) »
It seems strange the differing names from actual baptisms as to the names given in the book as only 1 has a match (James)?

Annie

Offline Sneff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 December 19 04:17 GMT (UK) »
The entry in the book was related to the fact that Susan (Scott) Carnegie was helping James' widow. I was able to work out the names of the other children but my interest is in James who was born in 1796.

Offline Sneff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 December 19 04:22 GMT (UK) »
oops

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 December 19 03:16 GMT (UK) »
The entry in the book was related to the fact that Susan (Scott) Carnegie was helping James' widow. I was able to work out the names of the other children but my interest is in James who was born in 1796.

I was only pointing out the discrepancy (for which most would have been thankful) i.e. if you're reading info. from same or any other book, you may want to check it's validity.

Annie

Add...If info. is wrong it isn't going to help with searches as often things can turn up related to siblings & it appears there's errors in your request?