Author Topic: What was William Peters doing in Whakatane sometime in the period 1910-1919?  (Read 3263 times)

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My friend's grandfather, from Brisbane in Australia, sent this postcard home from Whakatane (the town, not the ship) and she wonders what he was doing there. It is undated and unaddressed (probably sent in an envelope). It was sent to her grandmother, his second wife. His first wife died in 1903, so it was certainly later than that. He remarried in 1912, so it is probably after that, but I suppose it could have been sent to his fiancee perhaps as early as 1910. He died in 1919. It may have been during World War I but there is nothing in their clothing to suggest they are connected with the war. In his later life he was an engine driver and we think he was probably a fireman on this ship, whatever it was. She thinks he is the man on the left at the front. The message on the card says: "I hope you won't take a fit when you see this. It was taken on board at Whakatane. The crowd is all the sailors and firemen. Will" I understand that the town was an important shipbuilding and trade centre from the 1880s on, but wondered if anyone had any ideas what this group might have been doing there. Thanks as always, Geoff       

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: What was William Peters doing in Whakatane sometime in the period 1910-1919?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 December 19 07:09 GMT (UK) »
The other side of the card.

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What was William Peters doing in Whakatane sometime in the period 1910-1919?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 December 19 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Recording this in case it's relevant ...

There was a William Alfred Peters in the area around that time listed on the electoral rolls.  I don't have access to the exact details of address etc, as it is a paid subscription site.  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01opp/

William Alfred Peters
1911   Waimarino   Bay of Plenty   

William Alfred Peters
1914   Waimarino   Bay of Plenty
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 December 19 08:00 GMT (UK) »
This link lists a W Peters in 4 marine-related entries between 1907 and 1917:
http://www.nzmaritimeindex.org.nz/izsearchpersons.php

[Search for 'Peters']

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 December 19 08:07 GMT (UK) »

William Alfred Peters
1911/1914 Waimarino   Bay of Plenty   

Waiouru, Accomodation House Proprietor

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 December 19 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the first one Twiggy but I doubt it is him. He didn’t have a middle name in the Australian electoral roll and he married in Qld in 1912. I will investigate the second lead, thanks.

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 December 19 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Two from the index could be him. Does that mean this W Peters was on a ship named “ Flourished”?

859   Peters, W    Flourished: 1911
Source:   [Annual report. NZ Marine Department. AJHR] 1912   Page H.15, 63
Title:      [Shipboard accidents reported to Marine Dept for year ended 31 March 1912]
860   Peters, W    Flourished: 1911 - 1912
Source:   [Annual report. NZ Marine Department. AJHR] 1912   Pages H.15, 65 - 68
Title:      [Amounts paid to sick & disabled seamen for the year ended 31 March, 1912]

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 December 19 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks KHP, but probably not him.

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 December 19 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Flourished is a term to mean alive at the time.