Author Topic: A problem  (Read 879 times)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A problem
« on: Thursday 12 December 19 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi

For a long time I have been missing a birth certificate for one of my distant relatives, which I believe I have now found. But in finding it I have given myself a problem.

To begin, after the beginning of BMD registration, John Jewell and his wife Caroline (née Allen) had six children that I am aware of. They were all baptised at Siddington: Leah (bap12 Apr 1840), Sarah Rebecca (bap 25 Dec 1841), Myra (bap 09 Jul 1843), Arthur (bap 03 Mar 1845), Edith (bap 06 Dec 1846) and John Edgar (bap 06 May 1849).

This corresponds with the 1851 census where Leah is 11, Sarah 9, Myra 7, Arthur 6, Edith 4 and Edgar 2.

Until recently I had five birth certificates: Girl (b 27 Feb 1840, Leah?), Girl (b 11 Oct 1841, Sarah?), Boy (b 03 Mar 1845, Arthur?), Girl (b 02 Dec 1846, Edith) and Boy (b 11 mar 1849, Edgar?). The only one missing is Myra who was born I assumed c 1844.

I wrote to Cirencester RO and they replied that there was a certificate for Girl born to John and Caroline Jewell, namely Q1 1838 Cirencester 11 216. So I sent for it and all the information seems correct. It is definitely a female child belonging to my family. But is it Myra, it seems to be 6 years too early. If it is another until now unknown child then why since she doesn't appear on the 1851 census isn't there a corresponding death entry?

There are two Jewell births in Cirencester for Q3 1842 and Q2 1845 which I once thought could have been Myra, but in both cases the mother's maiden name is Gardner not Jewell or Joel.

So I now six children, 4 girls and 2 boys, and six birth certificates. again for 4 girls and 2 boys. But the sequence seems wrong for both the baptisms and the census returns.

Can anyone suggest a way of reconciling these records.

Sorry for the long post, but this is difficult to explain and resolve.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A problem
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 December 19 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Am I understanding correctly that the parents registered their children without specifying a first name?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 December 19 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Yes, the certificates just say boy or girl. The baptism records give their full names.

If you search on the GRO indexes, you will find them listed as either female/girl or male/boy.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 December 19 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Could it be Rhoda who was baptised 1st April 1838 born 23 February
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 December 19 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Could it be Rhoda who was baptised 1st April 1838 born 23 February

Indeed! I remember this family, and Rhoda’s been on the list all along:

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=699685.9
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 December 19 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Yes I suppose it could be Rhoda, though I always thought she was born in 1837.

But if it is Rhoda, then Myra's birth certificate is still missing.

PS I know that AVM remembers this family as she was very instrumental in linking it to the Bellengers or Berrys.

I don't know why I thought Rhoda was born in 1837, whereas her baptism clearly shows she was born in 1838. So the more I think about it, you are both right this is Rhoda's birth certificate.

But why, given that all her siblings were registered, is Myra missing?

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 December 19 13:55 GMT (UK) »
The image for Rhodas baptism shows the baptism date as 1st April 1838 and written underneath is 'Born 23rd of Feb'

I see you have now added to your post  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 December 19 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Yes - the reality has dawned on me. My own notes show 1838, though I was sure in my head it was 1837 and pre-registration.

The search for Myra's registration goes on.

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 December 19 14:06 GMT (UK) »
She may not have been registered. At this time it was up to the registrars to find the babies not the parents responsiblity and I have several that were missed.
GEDmatch M157477