Author Topic: Mary J Carpenter  (Read 2780 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Mary J Carpenter
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 15 December 19 20:49 GMT (UK) »
I don’t have full birth certificates only record numbers from BDM NSW.

Mary was born 14 Feb 1889 in Uralla NSW. She was 6/13 children of Job Carpenter and Sarah Billington. The family story about Mary is that when she was 16 she went to town one day and never came back. The belief was that she was living with a miner or ran away with the circus. Really? No-one looked for her or reported her missing? Would have been about 1905. I cannot find any trace of her other than her birth certificate. Can anyone help?

"..Family records have Mary still in Uralla in 1905 but then she disappeared".

What are these records?  How is Mary identified to be in Uralla?
Records = Stories passed down from generation to generation…. I have all the info and docs I need on the rest of the family; both parents and all other siblings.I have Mary's birth certificate but cant find a marriage or death certificate. Family say she ran away.
[/quote]

Birth cert only has Mary J. I suspect it would be Jane as this was her paternal grandmothers name.

Sorry, but I am unable to reconcile several pieces of info from some of your posts, including the ones I have included above, and I again note that the NSW BDM online index does NOT include the initial 'J' in its listing for the birth registration of Mary, daughter of Job and Sarah CARPENTER, registered in the NSW BDM district of Uralla.  Ref #31471/1889. 

The index is simply that, an index, - currently for online ordering purposes the NSW BDM has it set up as a database - but it is still an index, so it is only actually a summary ... a pointer to the actual official document upon which it is based. 

Do you have the death certificates for Job and/or Sarah ... Mary's parents?

JM  ADD I have just added the quote from reply #23, it is 8:18 am NSW time,  I have added it here to keep it all together.  Sue has already asked the question about the letter J in her reply #28, which was posted before I added that quote. 

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 15 December 19 21:13 GMT (UK) »
A couple of thoughts come to mind here.

Curiosity- where did the idea of the middle initial J come from?
Perhaps you have another record (other than family chat ;)) which uses that J.??

Also, if I may ask, have you sighted any actual certificates which have formed the basis of the search.
Such a worthwhile investment for setting family history on an accurate path.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 15 December 19 21:22 GMT (UK) »
I have added to my post at Reply #27 after reading Sue's post #28.  I added the extract from reply #23.

JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 15 December 19 21:49 GMT (UK) »
 :)  :)  :)

The online index for NSW BDM births has TWO birth registrations for 1889 that are of interest here.

Mary CARPENTER, parents as Job and Sarah, and ref 31471, district of Uralla.

and

Mary J CARPENTER, parents as Hughes J and Mary A, and ref 12500.   Mary J Carpenter's district is shown as Newtown, a suburb of  Sydney. 

ADD, Sands Sydney Directory for 1890 has a Hughes CARPENTER of Sydney St, Macdonaldtown as an engineer.  Macdonaldtown was within the NSW BDM district of Newtown in that era.

JM

Offline Mariel Mariel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 15 December 19 22:32 GMT (UK) »
I am still an amateur at genealogy research and I dont want to waste your valueable time. if you feel my information is invalid or unconfirmed, I understand and you are probably right. The information (including the initial J) came from the website Genealogy.com where a distant family member, Rod Carpenter (I believe he passed away recently) was compiling facts for the book he wrote "From Simple Beginnings – New England and Beyond", I cant find a copy of the book (which may have been self published) but Rod is thanked and named in another family history book "From Servitude to Freedom" written by Merv Webster - another branch of the family. I apologise if I have misled anyone but it was not intentional.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 15 December 19 22:45 GMT (UK) »
No need to apologise,  but please do consider seeking out the official transcriptions of your Mary's birth certificate, and also of her parents death certs and at least the birth certificate of her youngest sibling. 

Mary and all her then living siblings should be named and her then age noted on her parents' certificates if she was not known by the informant/s to be deceased at those times. 

Good advice here for researching in NSW https://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history-research/family-history-research-nsw.aspx

NSW BDM official transcriptions :

https://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyhistory  Scroll down to the section 'Ask a transcription Agent'.  These three are all excellent, you do not need to try to read the handwriting on those older records.  They have been official transcribers for years. 

JM

Offline Mariel Mariel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 15 December 19 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you JM. Do you have to pay for official transcriptions? Unfortunately I dont have the funds to pay for genealogy websites or official birth certificates or documents so can only gather information that is free. This is a very large family; but I believe it has been well researched by others. I have been in contact with another author, Sharon Froome, who published the book "Pioneers of the Inverell District" in 2013; but she didn't have any more copies of the book. She is willing to give me more information but is currently travelling and wont be home until Christmas. She was however familiar with my family history and hopefully will be able to shed some light on whatever happened to Mary.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 16 December 19 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mariel,
Yes, you would need to pay for the services of a transcription agent.
Here is one of the many reliable and experienced services. Offering a Christmas special ;D
http://nswtranscriptions.com.au/pages/our_services/our_services.php

Relying on the foundation work of others in you family history search can be a serious trap because any erroneous information is simply re-recorded as fact.

If you do not see documentary evidence to support a family tree or family story, be skeptical and cautious.

The internet (and indeed the world of other published material) is riddled with 'false facts' which gather strength as they are perpetuated :D

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 16 December 19 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mariel,

I agree with Sue's advice. If your family gives Christmas or birthday gifts, perhaps you could ask for a certificate or two as a gift.

Most public libraries have Ancestry and/or Find My Past subscriptions that you could use for free in the library.

Family stories can have lots of truth, half truths or actual fabrications that have been passed down. In my own family the story has been passed down about a young lad who didn't return home from school one day and was never seen again. I was able to verify this as there were advertisements in the paper for acouple of months afterwards where the family were asking if anyone has seen him. He never showed up.

If you know the descendants of other branches of the family, or the eldest child's family - you may hear a different version. Could be worth asking.

Regards
Jennaya