Author Topic: Lost Scotsman and Bank loans  (Read 1975 times)

Offline Fraser178

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great Grandad Francis Fraser
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Scotsman and Bank loans
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 14 December 19 19:05 GMT (UK) »
I would agree with Forfarian - Scottish burial records are possibly amongst the worst record set anywhere. Pre Civil registration in some areas the only records you may find are where the church has rented out a mortcloth (coffin covering) and they record the fee raised for this.

I see, that helps me gain more of an understanding that a burial probably wont be found then! Most of my family are English so I've not got too much experience with Scottish records.
His son ended up in Manchester but I've got no idea how so it is proving fun trying to track down my Scottish ancestors.

But it seems trying to track down Rodericks father is proving difficult as there seems to be an incredible amount of Alexander Frasers in the Inverness area at the time!

Thanks for all your help though people, I've got more of an idea of what could of happened in this situation.
Research Intrests.
Manchester:Fraser, Jennings, Reid, Worsley
Wolverhampton:Hill, Griffiths, Harper, Whitehouse, Tarbuck, Asprey
Willenhall:Aston
Wales:Griffiths,Jennings
Warwickshire: Harper
Ireland County Dublin: Reid

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 15 December 19 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Legal records on SP, I wonder if Roderick worked for Thomas?

Fraser   Roderick   27/7/1792   labourer in Stirling   Stirling Commissary

Littlejohn   Thomas   2/6/1827   brewer in Stirling, residing at Annefield, spouse of Christian Glasfurd or Littlejohn   Inventory; Settlement   Stirling Sheriff Court

Thomas Littlejohn married Christian Glasfurd 14 Jun 1789 Stirling

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 16 December 19 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Just a note, that document that you have posted appears to be the Confirmation expede (issued) after an application for same by the Executor. Not quite sure how a deceased person could be appointed as an Executor? Are you sure that the person is who you think it is rather than another relative with the same name?

Until quite recently (I believe), any Executor applying for Confirmation, where the deceased passed intestate and the Executor was not the spouse of the deceased, had to also purchase a Bond of Caution (kind of an insurance policy and pronounced cayshun) from an Insurance Company to basically insure that the money/goods etc due to those who were due to inherit was received by them. If the due persons did not receive their inheritance, the Insurance Company paid out to them and then came after the Executor!
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire