Author Topic: Death of Domestic Servant at Smith Street, Chelsea 1911  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Heather18$

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death of Domestic Servant at Smith Street, Chelsea 1911
« on: Saturday 14 December 19 15:30 GMT (UK) »
I wonder can anyone help me out with a family 'mystery'? 
My maternal grandmother had a beautiful sister (I have one slightly blurred photo of a beautiful Edwardian lady in large brimmed hat standing by a picket fence).  Her name was Alice Burns b 1884 at Bank Farm, Raw near Robin Hoods Bay and died Nov 1911 at 4 Smith Street, Chelsea, London.  Alice was the daughter of Hannah and Thomas Burns farming people from a small holding in sight of the sea.   At some point for some reason she moved to London as a young adult and was dead by the age of 26.
As a young child I had heard a family story regarding her young death which was supposed to have happened during WWI, however as my family history journey began and I looked into why she died so young, I found she died in 1911 and not during WWI!
On the 1911 census she is living with other ladies at 37, Seaford Road, Tottenham.  All the ladies are employed in domestic type work and Alice is listed as a "domestic servant".
Her death certificate states she died at 4, Smith Street, Chelsea and her death was registered by J M Bell "The occupier" (of 4 Smith Street).
The cause of death is stated as "Parturition, Post Partum haemorrage, syncope".  I checked and it seems all related to childbirth, but why did she have a baby at her place of work??  The death cert was certified by "S Hudson MRCS".  I have found no record of a live birth of a baby to match date, so was it a miscarriage, could this place have even been an 'abortion clinic'?!
I have found that she was buried on 4th December 1911 in common ground in Kensal Green Cemetery, London.  A death notice and later acknowledgement were in the Whitby Gazette for Dec 1911.  I have no info on the date she went to London or why and would love to solve this 'mystery'.  Any help or pointers in the right direction would be most appreciated.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Domestic Servant at Smith Street, Chelsea 1911
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 December 19 15:39 GMT (UK) »
4 Smith Street was a private house.  In 1901 it appears to have 4 different households resident there.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 December 19 15:46 GMT (UK) »
On the 1911 census she is living with other ladies at 37, Seaford Road, Tottenham.  All the ladies are employed in domestic type work and Alice is listed as a "domestic servant".
Her death certificate states she died at 4, Smith Street, Chelsea and her death was registered by J M Bell "The occupier" (of 4 Smith Street).
The cause of death is stated as "Parturition, Post Partum haemorrage, syncope".  I checked and it seems all related to childbirth, but why did she have a baby at her place of work?? 

Just wondering......what is the evidence you have to indicate that 4 Smith Street was her place of work?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Heather18$

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 December 19 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Well going on info on death cert that she was a "Domestic Servant" I did assume this was her place of work, unfortunately not knowing the time of day she died makes this harder.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 December 19 15:58 GMT (UK) »
I can't see her in 1911 census :-\

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 December 19 16:11 GMT (UK) »
From the 1912 Street Directory. I suspect the M.A.B.Y.S. occupied both 3 and 4 Smith Street:
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 December 19 16:12 GMT (UK) »

Neither can I . She isn’t at 37 Seaford Road, Tottenham, this occupied by the Carr family.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 December 19 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Parturition means "the action of giving birth to young; childbirth."

Post Partum haemorrage means "excessive bleeding after delivery of the fetus and may occur before or after delivery of the placenta."

Syncope is a "temporary loss of consciousness ( fainting) usually related to insufficient blood flow to the brain"

So it seems she delivered a baby and died as a result because of lack of any medical attention.... 100 years plus ago, that would be more likely than now.

If the baby was stillborn it will not be registered as a (live) birth on the normal register however I do not know what date stillbirths started to be registered on the stillbirth registry...now any child born dead after 24 weeks is classified as a stillbirth and recorded, prior to 24 weeks it's known as a miscarriage or late foetal loss.

Without research and finding records to prove anything and it is unlikely you will find records for what was going on in her life/mind, however many young people from rural communities moved to London to find work or maybe to hide a pregancy/deliver  and live there or returning home without baby so no one knew/found out

Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 December 19 16:14 GMT (UK) »

Neither can I . She isn’t at 37 Seaford Road, Tottenham, this occupied by the Carr family.

Thank you, That is all I found JenB.   :)