Author Topic: McLaren Family Dunkeld Perthshire  (Read 3087 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: McLaren Family Dunkeld Perthshire
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 17 December 19 20:46 GMT (UK) »
"I have quite a lot of info on BDM's for the family especially for James Fenton McLaren's children as his daughter Helen (Ellen) is my Gt Grandmother.  Her birth is the only one that I do not have and have tried everywhere I can.  She was born abt 1871 in Dunedin and died in Christchurch 9 Jan 1940.  She had an illegitimate son, my grandfather.  Gordon Alexander McLaren/Dunlop. b 1879.  Father unknown"

Barb, Can you please check dates in bold as something isn't right?

I have spent a good few hours today trying to untangle the 'spider's web' & think I may have found the connection between Johnston/McLaren/Cree?

It appears Isaac Johnston married twice...

1st - JOHNSTON ISAAC - MARGARET SOUTAR 30/11/1806 - 328/30 362 Alyth

Children b Alyth;

Agnes 1807 (Married Alexander McLaren 19 Jun 1837 Alyth)
Helen 1809
William 1811
James Soutar 1813
Janet 1814
Peter 1817

2nd - JOHNSTONE ISAAC - CHARLOTTE EASSON 26/02/1826 - 328/60 176 Alyth

Children b Alyth;

Isaac 1827
Margaret 1830 (who's son was Isaac Johnston Cree)

Isaac Johnston Cree was half nephew as well as son-in-law of Alexander McLaren & Agnes Johnston

I have yet to find & solve (been too busy with the above) the problem I found earlier with Easson/Deuchars without certs. for the time being.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 17 December 19 21:18 GMT (UK) »
"Are the names HUNTER, FENTON, LYALL,  AITCHISON, SMITH from the JOHNSTON or McLAREN side of the family?   

You need to research both families...McLAREN and JOHNSTON.

Where do you see Elizabeth Aitchison?"

I wondered that too...

The parents of Isaac Johnston were William Johnston & Agnes Hutchison which may have been mistaken as Aitchison depending on accent/pronunciation?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 17 December 19 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Otago Witness 31 May 1911
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/OW19110531.2.164?
CREE—On May 24, at the residence of her brother-in-law. James F. SIMPSON, Rockyside Caversham,, Jane, relict of . Isaac CREE and sister of John H. M'LAREN,  Cumberland street, and Mrs Edward MILLS, Castle street.

Mills is also a family name

By process of elimination Mrs Edward Mills would be sister Elizabeth McLaren b 1850 Carnock, Fife

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Closest baptism I can find (not necessarily correct) is;

MACLERAN ALEXANDER 03/02/1814
JOHN MACLERAN/CHRISTIAN MACLERAN - 349/10 348 Dunkeld

Alexander & Agnes don't appear to have any interest in the naming pattern whatsoever as you'd expect the 1st 2 sons to be named John & Isaac after their own fathers.

Likewise, you'd expect the 1st daughter to be named Margaret after Agnes' mother & of course we don't know the name of Alexander's mother nor can we be sure his father was named John?

Annie

Add...What info. is on their marriage re witnesses/place names or anything else?

Add...Does the DC for Alexander give the occ. of his father?

If he too was a Tailor, this may be him - https://www.oldscottish.com/dunkeld.html

Scroll down to Male Heads of families 1834 (NRS Reference: CH2/749/2 pp. 18-29)

John McLaren tailor

Offline Kiwibarb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 02:49 GMT (UK) »
Annie,
You have done so much work.  I am just not getting to it at the moment as much as I would like to.

My fault, my grandfather was b 6 May 1898.  His mother her birth is a mystery.  Her plaque at the crematorium in Christchurch NZ has 1971-1940 on it.  Her death cert died 19 January 1940 Christchurch age 69yrs.   This also makes the birth around 1871.  I have searched several times for her birth on NZBDM and never found it.  Have also inquired in Dunedin where she was born.  Yet, I have the births of all her other sibblings.  I note that she was never mentioned in her father's will, yet all other family were!!!!!  This family does appear to be a little complex!

Agree Agnes and Alexander do not appear to have followed tradition in the naming of their children. 
John is the name of the father on Alexander's death cert, but whether that is correct, not sure.  Mother's name unknown.  No there is no occupation for Alexander's father on D.C.   Agnes father, Isaac Johnson was a weaver.

There appears to be a pattern with family being tailors/dressmakers.  William Lovet s/o Alexander was also a tailor in Dunedin.

I can see what you mean about head of households and John being a Tailor.....I guess a strong possibility.   I note also a Alexander McLaren (weaver)above John McLaren.  Could this be Alexander prior to him becoming a Tailor??

(Add...What info. is on their marriage re witnesses/place names or anything else?)  Not sure who you are referring to here?

I will certainly try and get to this as soon as I possibly can.

Thank you so much.

Regards
Barbara
Keating/e - Clonmel - Tipperary,- Liverpool - Bootle
Norton - York
Porter -  Liverpool - Bootle
Evans - Wales - Liverpool
Carpenter - Bristol
Jones - Bristol
Hawkshaw, Ireland

Offline Kiwibarb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 02:57 GMT (UK) »
Annie, found this Ancestry.

Name
    Agnes Johnston
Birth Date
    10 Oct 1807
Baptism Date
    11 Oct 1807
Baptism Place
    Alyth,Perth,Scotland
Father
    Isaac Johnston
Mother
    Margaret Soutar
FHL Film Number
Household Members

NameAge
        NameMargaret Soutar
        NameIsaac Johnston
        NameAgnes Johnston

Norton - York
Carpenter - Bristol
Jones - Bristol
Hawkshaw, Ireland

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 03:05 GMT (UK) »
"I note also a Alexander McLaren (weaver)above John McLaren.  Could this be Alexander prior to him becoming a Tailor??"

Yes. indeed a good possibility, I thought it to be a good clue even if it's only names/date/area as they work together well

"(Add...What info. is on their marriage re witnesses/place names or anything else?)  Not sure who you are referring to here?"

The marriage of Alexander McLaren & Agnes Johnston (looking for any clues)

Annie

Add...Crossed post...I have given you the details for both marriages & children to both marriages...Agnes Johnstone & Margaret Johnston (mother of Isaac Johnston Cree) were half sisters!  ;)...see Reply #27

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 04:12 GMT (UK) »
Leader (Melbourne) 13 Aug 1892 p4
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/196891042?
M'Laren.— On the 23rd July, at her residence, Cumberland-street, Dunedin, N.Z., Agnes JOHNSTON, the beloved wife of Alexander M'LAREN and mother of Mrs. Isaac J. CREE, Chetwynd-street, West Melbourne, has, after a long illness, passed quietly away from death to life, aged 85 years, a native of Alyth, Perthshire, Scotland. Alyth friends please accept of this intimation.

At 1892 the family of Alexander McLAREN and Agnes JOHNSTON are all in New Zealand. If Jane CREE is putting a notice in the paper it would be to advise.........who?...........McLARENS and / or JOHNSTONs in Melbourne?

Jane is a widow at 1873 with death of husband John HAMILTON. Seven years later Jane marries again. How is Jane supporting herself for seven years. Is she living with relatives...extended family.

You need to see these two records. The 1864 record for a young Jane McLAREN  will name witnesses...who will likely be relatives. Addresses would be useful.

For 1880 - the addresses, and names of witnesses would be useful......because I suspect that widowed Jane has ongoing close contact with relatives.

BDM VIC
4441/1864 HAMILTON John    marr.   MCLAREN, Jane

3443/1880 CREE        Isaac   marr.  HAMILTON, Jane Smith

Your information -
"...have their arrival as about 1865. I have heard that James Fenton McLaren and his brother John Hunter McLaren left London 1st December 1863, arriving on the Lady Milton to Bluff 4 April 1864.  Whether this is when other family came out I do not know.?

How do you have?....where did you get this information?. You need to see a passenger list with something better than just McLAREN.

Information you are getting here is referenced.....source identified....dates...places.....type of records......

Family stories can be useful to your research but eventually you have to confirm or refute them.

Offline Kiwibarb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 06:22 GMT (UK) »
Wivenhoe,

I will look the information up about John Hunter and James Fenton McLaren.  Unfortunately there is no passenger list for that time.  I have spoken to Archives NZ in Wellington about this and they do have passenger lists for that period and  Yes, I can go to Wellington, where I do not live and manually delve through the passenger lists, which may take days I am told.  I might find something that way!!
I do research what I have found an get resources where I can.  I have not had a lot to do with Scotlands people website and will try and get my head around it maybe over the Christmas holiday period.  Most of my research and resources I have found have been in NZ, England Wales and Ireland. So Scotland and Australian records are something I need to find out more about as well.

At the present time I have not as much time to research and thanks to you and Annie for the great information you have found, but,  it has come at me so quickly and I certainly need to further research what has been sent to me.

I will look further at the period the family came to NZ and certainly look further for information.

Once again thank you so much for the information you have found.  It is much appreciated.

Kind regards
Barbara

Norton - York
Carpenter - Bristol
Jones - Bristol
Hawkshaw, Ireland