Author Topic: Salford Union Workhouse  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Poppy17

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Salford Union Workhouse
« on: Sunday 15 December 19 07:46 GMT (UK) »
I believe a lot of the records for this institution have been lost.  One of my relatives (Agnes Emmet) was born in Salford Union Workhouse in April 1861.  Mother (Mary Emmett) was there, of course, so where all her other 5 children.  I have been unable to find her husband (George Emmett) anywhere in 1861.  Some people don't wish to be found but was hoping to find out why she was there with all her children as I can't seem to get the same answer from Lancashire regarding what is and what isn't available to look at. Any help would be appreciated

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Salford Union Workhouse
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 December 19 08:05 GMT (UK) »
The website for Salford workhouse lists what is available, scroll down to the bottom of the link

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Salford/
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 December 19 12:00 GMT (UK) »
The website for Salford workhouse lists what is available, scroll down to the bottom of the link

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Salford/

It states: Admissions and discharge registers were pulped during WW2.  Surviving records include Guardians' minute books (1838-1930), Workhouse visiting committee minutes(1865-1930) etc.  So, no help there!

Was George with his family on the 1871 census?  (if so, death and desertion could be ruled out).  Did he have an occupation which might have caused him to travel?  We might also need to consider the possibility of him being in a hospital, asylum, or prison in 1861.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Poppy17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 December 19 12:54 GMT (UK) »
George Emmett was a wool comber, commissioning agent and journeyman so obviously travels.  He was on the 1851 and 1871 census but I have been unable to find him anywhere in 1861.  I think I have the down on him because of this and because he was a bit of a lad in his youth, stealing his brother's bed and in court for fraud but was found not guilty.  I did think maybe records at the workhouse would have given me a hint.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 December 19 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Emmetts in the workhouse in Salford in 1861 census.
Mother Mary (M) and five children
Piece 2926 folio 84 page 8

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-992X-4HV3?i=363&cat=529964

Agnes 2 days old.

Offline Marj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 December 19 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Poppy

Can you post the details you have for 1871 census,

Thanks Marj

Census information Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Moran, Healey, Gouldbourn, Drury

Offline Paul Jackson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 January 20 05:49 GMT (UK) »
George Emmett was a wool comber, commissioning agent and journeyman so obviously travels.  He was on the 1851 and 1871 census but I have been unable to find him anywhere in 1861.  I think I have the down on him because of this and because he was a bit of a lad in his youth, stealing his brother's bed and in court for fraud but was found not guilty.  I did think maybe records at the workhouse would have given me a hint.

Here comes the pedant. Don't confuse "Journeyman" with "A travelling man" they are not the same. Especially for Family History buffs. A journeyman can work in the same place at the same job for years!
Jackson; Sunman; Millington; Rigg; Bardsley; Hanger; Ro[d]gers; Ellis; Moseley; Slack; Rutherford.

Offline BlandTree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 December 22 23:40 GMT (UK) »
"Journeyman" is an anglicised corruption of the French "Journee" man, that is, he is paid by the day.  This qualification is given to a skilled tradesman who has finished his apprenticeship but not yet become a Master Craftsman.  Each guild has a limited number of "Masters" so elevation to that state depends on a vacancy arising ("Dead Man's Shoes"), and the approval of the other "Masters" who will examine a special piece of work submitted by him to prove the quality of his work. This is referred to as his "Masterpiece".
Adkins, Alford, Alfred, Allford, Armitt, Atkins, Atkinson, Berry, Blackberry. Blackbury, BLAND, Boaden, Boardman, Bowden, Carpenter, Lister, Malsbury, Mason, McAra, Mawle, Mery, Mold, Newth, Pargitter, Park, Pritchard, Quiney, Quinney, Rawlinson, Rollinson, Rowlinson, Rowledge, Sprute, Stuart, Sugden, Tyler