Author Topic: Joseph Slater born circa 1820 Bilston  (Read 1909 times)

Offline Millibeans

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Slater born circa 1820 Bilston
« Reply #18 on: Friday 07 July 23 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Pamela - Thank you so much for replying to this post.

I have been working with Artifice on my family tree. Joseph Slater (born 1820) is my great-great-great grandfather on my mothers side.  I am trying to find connection to “the potteries” for some vase’s that have been passed down the female line of the family - you may know about these. One is has the inscription “Joseph and Mary Slater 1840” on it.

I would be really grateful for any information you could share.

Many thanks

Offline SummersP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Slater born circa 1820 Bilston
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 19 March 24 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Millibeans, so sorry to have only just seen your reply from July last year!  I have indeed heard of those vases and always wished I had seen them (or if I did see them, then I wish I had taken a photo of them).  Were they in the house at Owlstone Rd with Joan?  Anyway, my vague recollection is that I was told the vases/jugs were made for the family members by Josiah Wedgewood.  I don't know if that is true but do you have Joseph and Mary possibly marrying in 1803 in Stoke on Trent?  At least that would put them close to the potteries then, even if they were later living in Hall Fields, Bilston.  The Joseph Slater born 1820, your ggg grandfather, is the son of Joseph and Mary.  This thread has interesting information possibly about Joseph senior and who Mary might have been (Mary Bourne). The will that I've located which is possibly his, is dated 26 Aug 1848 and says he was "late of Hall fields, forgeman." Executors were Samuel Slater, roll turner, West Bromwich and William Griffiths blacksmith, Hall fields. An article that may relate to Joseph senior in the Staffordshire Advertiser of 13 Feb 1847  ("Joseph Slater, forgeman, Bilston") then he was a partner in the Manchester and Liverpool Banking Company. Hope this is of interest. Best wishes, Pamela
Leck, Robberds, Unthank, Woodland, Ferris, Davis, Bachelier, Cordon, Deverdun, Pahon, Riviere, Summers.