Author Topic: Elizabeth Withers born Dean 1778  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
  • Burg Crest Schleswig-Holstein
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Withers born Dean 1778
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 19 December 19 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Cheers
Schleswig-Holstein:- Rathgen; Rathjen; Oelkers; Behnke; Scheel; Rothgarn; Normanns; Scotland:- Lindsay

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 July 20 21:10 BST (UK) »
Henrietta Margaret Lardie (Caradie, Caradic) Withers, born 13 Jun 1802, died Mar 1806. First child of Edward Weston Withers and Elizabeth Dean of Edgbaston, Birmingham. Ancestry.com has her name as Henriette Margaret Lardie Withers; another transcription has it as Caradic, another Caradie.
Caradie is found at Ancestry.com, in America; it is also found for a migrant to Western Australia, named Mr D Caradie who departed England for South Africa. He was aged 54, born c1859, departed 1913 from Southampton on the Walmer Castle for Cape Town.
NOT expecting to find any ancestor of this family named Lardie/Cardie or Caradic; as Elizabeth Dean seems to have been born with neither parents nor ancestors.

I suspect this name may be a mistranscription of the original. Please could I see an image from the original document to show her third name.

With many thanks
David
Schleswig-Holstein:- Rathgen; Rathjen; Oelkers; Behnke; Scheel; Rothgarn; Normanns; Scotland:- Lindsay

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 07:48 BST (UK) »
Don't think one can post images on Lookup requests.

Looks like Lardie or Lardic on the death record.  When the person has written Batchelor on other entries the e and c can look identical.  Might tend towards Lardic, or not, just depends on how he was writing on the day.

Looks like Caradic at birth.  Very similar to lots of other C's on the page, not many L's to compare, only obvious one (L) looks totally different. c at end has more of a point, so c not e.

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 01:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, I appreciate the comments.
David

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 July 22 08:16 BST (UK) »
1841 Census she lived at Ravenhurst St Bordesley; she was a bookseller;

Try as I might, I cannot now find the reference to 'Book Seller' in the 1841 Census! Page Number 29; Piece/Folio 1148/18; Registration Number HO107. At one time I guessed from the hand writing she was a boot seller, but then I changed my mind to Book seller.

Am I correct or not?

Neither am I able to find any Directory listing for Elizabeth Withers (Mrs) as a book seller.

Really just checking up on myself
Thank you

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 July 22 10:27 BST (UK) »
I could not find Elizabeth born about 1778 on the 1841 census on Ancestry when doing a general search. However I did find an Elizabeth Withers in Ravenhurst St. but she was age 50 marked as IND, the entry above her was a 16 year old boy, a Bookseller?

1841 census Aston, Deritend & Bordesley, district 18 page 16.

This may be her in the 1849 White's Directory & Gazetteer of Birmingham

Elizabeth Withers   Birmingham   71, Ravenhurst St.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 26 July 22 01:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,
Which means I have been confused all this time. (A not unusual occurrence!)
Just to check, what was the name of the boy?
I too have her at 71 Ravenhurst
Many thanks

David

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 26 July 22 10:12 BST (UK) »
Join the club on confusion.

I guess given her age this is not your Elizabeth?

I think you said you are an Ancestry member, so below should open, if not the boy was Cornelius Milton or Mitton.
I have also noticed a few entries after Elizabeth is an Edwin Withers, age 30 Tobacconist.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/8978/images/WARHO107_1147_1148-0337?ssrc=&backlabel=Return

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 27 July 22 04:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Colin,
This Mrs Elizabeth Withers born c1777 is not quite the same as her daughter Miss Elizabeth Withers b1807 and distinguished from her mother by her DOB and her middle name, Pitt, and then by her married name Vallant. But the dau rarely used her middle name, and I have often confused dau with mother, particularly when both were talked about by the names alone and no marital status!
I guess this is a frequent occurrence.
Anyway, those are just the normal headaches genealogists have.
Thanks again for checking this fact for me. Mother was not a seller of books!
David