Author Topic: Joseph Miles & Mary Ann Saunders (Stroud/Chedworth)  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Miles & Mary Ann Saunders (Stroud/Chedworth)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Is Lilly definitely Joseph's daughter. You say he died 1895. Lilian Kate Miles, mother's maiden name Saunders, is born in Stroud in 1898

In 1911 she's in an industrial school in Coventry - she may be difficult to follow after that

There are two older children with Mary in 1901 - what became of them

Good point on Lilly. There was a train of thought earlier in my research that she was a step-sister of Albert Walter Miles. Looking at the dates she can’t be Joseph Miles’ daughter as he died a few years before her birth. What throws a little confusion into the mix was that my grandfather Albert Walter Miles ( her prospective step brother) had put her down as next of kin in his 1914 army sign up papers. His parents Joseph and Mary Ann Miles (nee Saunders)we’re deceased at that point. I have a copy of this form and it was written next of kin as
Miss Lillie Miles, Moorgreen, Brookfield by Johnstone Scotland ( she was listed as a Miles ?)
Think I will need to doublecheck my facts with Lilly
Thanks for getting back.

This looks interesting -  haven't got Scotland's people credits to get more detail

MILES, LILIAN KATE
Death year: 1981
Age at death: 83
mother's maiden name: SAUNDERS
Ref: 675/ 49

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Beatrice Saunders
Baptism    9 Jan 1894, Stroud, St Lawrence
Mother:    Mary Saunders
Address: Middle Hill

Private baptism

Offline Bryan280445

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Is Lilly definitely Joseph's daughter. You say he died 1895. Lilian Kate Miles, mother's maiden name Saunders, is born in Stroud in 1898

In 1911 she's in an industrial school in Coventry - she may be difficult to follow after that

There are two older children with Mary in 1901 - what became of them

Good point on Lilly. There was a train of thought earlier in my research that she was a step-sister of Albert Walter Miles. Looking at the dates she can’t be Joseph Miles’ daughter as he died a few years before her birth. What throws a little confusion into the mix was that my grandfather Albert Walter Miles ( her prospective step brother) had put her down as next of kin in his 1914 army sign up papers. His parents Joseph and Mary Ann Miles (nee Saunders)we’re deceased at that point. I have a copy of this form and it was written next of kin as
Miss Lillie Miles, Moorgreen, Brookfield by Johnstone Scotland ( she was listed as a Miles ?)
Think I will need to doublecheck my facts with Lilly
Thanks for getting back.

This looks interesting -  haven't got Scotland's people credits to get more detail

MILES, LILIAN KATE
Death year: 1981
Age at death: 83
mother's maiden name: SAUNDERS
Ref: 675/ 49

Mabel,

I could kiss you. You solved the Lily issue. That was her informal name. Checked Lilian Kate and came up with loads of stuff. Thank you so much. This family member has been keeping my research going for some time