Author Topic: A taste of Christmas Past!  (Read 5467 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A taste of Christmas Past!
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 28 December 19 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Here's a couple more. I do have more but I think I'd better stop now as I am digressing from Carol's topic.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 28 December 19 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Aren't they lovely...I love the ones withe the pocket and card, are any of them from Family Jen? I have a huge old postcard collection but no silk or embroidered ones.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 28 December 19 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jen they are beautiful. I wish I had some.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 28 December 19 17:49 GMT (UK) »
They were all passed down from my grandmother, but sadly I have no idea who sent them.

I can't resist posting the last two.

The second one is made from cut-out paper. There are three separate sections - the centre containing the words, the small area surrounding it, and the outer, more elaborate, surround. Each of these three components are mounted on paper 'hinges' of differing length (the longest on the outer section well over an inch long less than an inch long on the innermost section) so that when they are all extended you are looking through two frames into the message set deep in the centre (very difficult to describe  ::) )
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ms_canuck

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 02 January 20 16:41 GMT (UK) »
The attached Christmas card was sent to my Mum by my Dad who was stationed in Palestine (with the RAF) in WW2 - there is no date on the card.  My parents were married on 7 Oct 1944 and Mum said that he was recalled shortly after that - they were actually on their honeymoon when the orders came. 

When the card is closed, the Air Force symbol shows thru the cutout on the front.  I'm a scrapbooker, so the card is safely kept in one of my family albums.

Ms_C
1. Paul - Guernsey 1801
2. Ettenton / Eltenton - Guernsey 1806

Offline ms_canuck

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 02 January 20 16:42 GMT (UK) »
File was too large, so here is the other side of the card in my previous message.
1. Paul - Guernsey 1801
2. Ettenton / Eltenton - Guernsey 1806

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 02 January 20 17:18 GMT (UK) »
How lovely....you are lucky to have them. Thanks for sharing...I was hoping that someone else would share their old cards  :D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 02 January 20 20:03 GMT (UK) »
  I have a collection of greetings cards which were saved by my great aunt in the early years of the 20th cent. They are mostly Christmas cards, though many are not what we would call "Christmassy". Also, they are all quite small. The one pictured has fascinated me since I first saw it. It opens out, though not far - hence my hand holding it. I am surprised it came out so well, as I was holding the camera with one hand! (Swallows were a favourite motif.)
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 03 January 20 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Wow...love that one...they don't make them like that anymore...thanks for sharing.
Carol