Author Topic: A taste of Christmas Past!  (Read 5461 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A taste of Christmas Past!
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 26 December 20 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Good on you, your family will thanks you for, what a great archive of social history  8)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 26 December 20 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Can't easily get you the name something like "JR Jewellers", right by the old covered market.
Seems to be a really good chap, he said if he couldn't do things, very honest.
I'd have that done myself, nostalgia IS what it used to be!
No problem ,whilst I am in the hospital my son often goes walkabout ,last time he went to see the dinosaur skeleton cast which is now marooned in R/Dale through Covid 19
Quote from: Treetotal .

link=topic=822918.msg7083958#msg7083958 date=1609023442

I tidied up my posts and can’t find the relevant one ,is it the one my daughter, thinking she was being helpful wound up .?
My OH bought it for me ,I had never had a watch before.
I was expecting my first baby.
I would love to get it repaired.
Aren’t the cards lovely , I don’t know how to post photographs or I would send pics of one or two I have, the Christmas ones are not particularly
Christmassy ,Roses etc.
One has the verse:- “ Like the  Ivy
                                Thoughts entwine
                                 Around true friends
                                  At Christmas time.”
Cheerio ,Viktoria.
Good on you, your family will thanks you for, what a great archive of social history  8)
Carol

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 26 December 20 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Can't easily get you the name something like "JR Jewellers", right by the old covered market.
Seems to be a really good chap, he said if he couldn't do things, very honest.
I'd have that done myself, nostalgia IS what it used to be!

Is it JLR Jewellers?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 26 December 20 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gadget, son will look no doubt ,have another appt in the not too distant future.
Viktoria.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 27 December 20 13:49 GMT (UK) »
I love the rhyme Victoria...thanks for sharing...I got my fist watch when I was 15 years old and treasured it, until my Brother stood on it :'(
He bought me another, a Timex, when he started work but it wasn't the same  :-\
Carol

Well, I'll be! I also got a watch from my parents on my fifteenth birthday  . . . a Timex! It lasted for many years, surviving several dunkings in the R. Trent. The winder eventually wore out and no one could replace it. I tried electronic ones but they never lasted, so I haven't worn a watch for something like 40yrs now.

I think most of us in that era had a first watch not a fist watch that was a Timex.
Carol

Mine was a Sekonda, a combined birthday and Christmas present. Birthday is July. It might have been Christmas + 2 birthdays.  I think it cost £6 which would have been average present cost x3. Main function of the watch was timing of exams in O-Level year.
Cowban

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 27 December 20 14:02 GMT (UK) »
How lovely Jen...post them anyway, I would love to see them and i'm sure others would  ;)

This one is rather nice - it's actually in the form of a little envelope containing a card.

I didn't have one of those little envelope postcards when I posted this Jen, I now have two and thought of you when I bought them, cheap a £1 each.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 27 December 20 14:22 GMT (UK) »
A couple more.
Carol

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 27 December 20 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Another from 1911, a bit posh having their name etc printed inside  :P

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 27 December 20 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Oh very up market  :D :D I have a couple that are dated and with the name and address printed inside. One is from a Doctor and the other has a monogram on the front. Sadly, not family ones though, just part of my collection.
Carol