Author Topic: Searching for Biological Parent of Annie, Born c1873  (Read 12182 times)

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Biological Parent of Annie, Born c1873
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 21 December 19 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Is it me or has the link to marriage orig document disappeared ?

I wanted to check
Because if there was a comma
Ann Simmons.fostered from birth could actually be that she was birth mother and ?  was who had fostered her from birth.

People at Sylvia s death may have known age and relatives but not known about the baby

Can any Ann Mabel May with any surname be found on any Census anywhere

Excuse me if I'm repeating questions about information already given
+ Please make sense of my typos

My eyes + brain are giving up .on me
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 21 December 19 21:17 GMT (UK) »
You make a good point there bridgidmac.
She would have been a mature age at 43/5ish  to be having a child, but not impossible.

Would she be in a position to give consent to the marriage of Annie if in fact someone else had raised the child?

The record shows the girl was 18 years and consent for marriage given by Sylvia.

I have not seen any reference to "a daughter" in the life of Sylvia in newspapers. I do note Sylvia was assertive to say the least. The keeper of a public house at Anakie near Geelong. Perhaps, looking at it from your supposition, these work commitments  made mothering impossible :D

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 22 December 19 02:55 GMT (UK) »

At your........Canning Family Tree 2019....... Ancestry -

It might be useful to cast a forensic eye over the marriage certificate, SHERRY - SIMMONS, 1891, giving consideration to the presentation of the information as much as the substance of the information. It might suggest some possibilities.

George LOCKWOOD and Sylvia SIMMONS are witnesses.

I do not think that George LOCKWOOD is the officiating minister. What would George LOCKWOOD, the witness, be witnessing.......himself as the officiating Minister?

If you search Trove.......Christ Church.......in Geelong newspaper 1885 - 1895...there is George GOODMAN as minister at Christ Church.  The first letter of Minister's family name on the certificate does not look like "G"...the rest could be "oodman".....but I do not see this name to be LOCKWOOD.

The certificate is edited to make Annie's second given name Mable, and Joseph's name to include Patrick as second given name.

The ink (concentration of the colour) is not consistent over the whole document.

You might wonder, when Mable...not Mabel, is so important to Annie, that Mabel was recorded in the first place.

I think that the information was recorded a day or two before the wedding day, when.......who?.... Sylvia as responsible adult giving permission for Annie to marry, goes to the church to inform the ....verger?...church clerk?.......of Annie and Joseph's intention to marry.

parents unknown....foster mother since birth......Annie SIMMONS.....all these pieces of information feed each other.

If Annie's parents are unknown, and Sylvia has cared for her from birth, then Annie can hardly marry as GARDINER, she has to be SIMMONS.

I suspect that Annie has never used the name SIMMONS, or been known as that name.

Annie knows that the names GARDINER and MABLE (MAPLE?...MAPLES?) feature in her ancestry.

The minister is initialling the amendments on the certificate.

I do not think that Annie is a complete stranger to  Sylvia SIMMONS or George LOCKWOOD. They have knowledge of Annie - a young girl needing to get married, with no immediate family around.

There should be two other marriage records on the same page. Look at them to see if there is some format..........most information written in one hand.........different ink used on the day for signatures. You might get a second look at name of George ****, the minister.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 22 December 19 03:24 GMT (UK) »
Wive...
Astounding.. you are the first writing forensic detective I've come across

Everything you say makes sense. Wouldn't it be great if inks handwriting + wording from one document led to the puzzle being solved

Can I use this example in next Time Travel storytelling event please .

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 22 December 19 04:14 GMT (UK) »
LOCKWOOD’s: Put his name into Trove, Geelong newspaper and you will see a George LOCKWOOD, aged 8 - father Henry - mentioned in 1863. In 1883 he is selling up and moving out of Anakie. However, in 1890 a George of Anakie is to receive council funding for vermin control.

In 1887 a George is the poundkeeper at Anakie.

Also, in 1887, there is a lad, George as a painter of the North Geelong, Congregational Church. He does not appear to be the son of George the poundkeeper.

Henry, wife Sarah née Alcock, George and wife Margaret are buried in adjoining graves at:

Geelong Western Public Cemetery
Section: Church Of England
Row: 1
Grave: 0936

George, husband of Margaret née Sloan, was George Charles  and Margaret was Margaret Jackson Sloan.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 22 December 19 04:23 GMT (UK) »
Deleted irrelevant
  Jam id got the name wrong anyway .

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 22 December 19 04:28 GMT (UK) »
I would suggest that George GOODMAN altered the name 'Mabel' after Annie signed her name as 'Mable'.  There is plenty of evidence to show that many ministers filled out the marriage registers in advance and only the signatures were added when the marriage took place.  It probably wasn't any more complicated than her not knowing the usual and generally accepted way of spelling the name.

Debra  :D

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 22 December 19 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Jam are you referring to George the minister of George the witness? To avoid confusion GOODYEAR or LOCKWOOD

LOCKWOOD.

Will add it to my post.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 22 December 19 04:57 GMT (UK) »

"...I would suggest that George GOODMAN altered the name 'Mabel' after Annie signed her name as 'Mable'."

I agree, and this is the point I am making.  Who, earlier, gave the name as Mabel.....which Annie asked the minister to correct, which correction he initialled.

It cannot have been Annie.

Because Sylvia is giving permission for the marriage of a minor, Sylvia would be the most likely person to go to the church before the wedding. Sylvia, who has known Annie since she was a baby, does not know that Annie is adamant about the spelling....Mable.