Author Topic: Looking for marriage Brown + Adkins  (Read 777 times)

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Looking for marriage Brown + Adkins
« on: Thursday 26 December 19 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Looking for spouse of Sheila Adkins
BIRTH 06 DEC 1924 • South Africa
DEATH 28 OCT 2009 • Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa

from the rest of the tree I gleaned that she wed one of the sons of Edward Brown (b1893) & Theresa Saville (b 1894) of West Ham,  Essex , England who emigrated to South Africa. The two sons  I have are Edward and Stephen b early 1920s . (Plus Daughter named  Joan) Family believe there is either another son or an aka of Pat.

Pauline

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for marriage Brown + Adkins
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 December 19 11:02 GMT (UK) »
And the following proves again that it is always a good idea to give the details of the parents as well!:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C91W-T9YV-X?i=297&cat=1162069

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 December 19 11:11 GMT (UK) »
PS Divorced abt 1966

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 December 19 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the confirmation.  So it looks like I was on the right track at least. I didn't have Sheila's parents, as she isn't the blood relative .

I have struggled to find ANY reference to the Browns , and I don't know if it's the search terms, or gaps in the online transcription. What source led you to the divorce?

Without seeming callous, Edward and Teresa must have died by now, and their kids will be knocking on 100 years , so if a death record includes known kids, where do I find 'em?

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 January 20 04:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi you can check familysearch.org to see if there is an indexed estate file(a lot are available but not all are indexed) - though i cannot see any matching records
Looking at the index on gendatabase.com (pay for view) there are these records that may be him - this will only give you the date of death and estate number - if this is him then he remarried

Search:
Names   Surname   Maiden Name   Spouse Names   date   Database   Record Added   View Record
EDWARD FRANCIS   BROWN      ESM_ ROSE   1922    Marriage Verification Database      Sign in to View
EDWARD FRANCIS   BROWN      ESME ROSE   1926 [m]   Marriage Verification Database      Sign in to View
EDWARD FRANCIS   BROWN         2015-10-02 [d]   Masters Database   2019-05-18   Sign in to View

The divorce record referred to would be listed on the Archives index  http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm300dl?202001080649323B8E3C63
 below is the records recorded in the Transvaal Archives. These are not available on-line but you could go through eggsa.com and ask them to photograph the file for you for a small fee (they require the full details below)
DEPOT     TAB                                                                   
SOURCE    WLD                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 0                                                                     
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 3410/1966                                                             
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          ILLIQUID CASE. DIVORCE. SHELLA (BORN ADKINS) VERSUS EDWARD FRANCIS   
           BROWN.                                                               
STARTING  19660000                                                             
ENDING    19660000     

Regards
Gillian
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual