Author Topic: Happy hunting in 2020  (Read 879 times)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Happy hunting in 2020
« on: Saturday 28 December 19 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Happy hunting in the New Year, everyone.  Keep digging. You never know what you'll find newly posted online.

I've been finding some great stuff these past few days. The Marquette County [Wisconsin] Historical Society has vastly amplified it's website with new materials. The pride of Marquette County and its most famous resident was John Muir, the father of the US National Park System, who spent his boyhood on the east side of Ennis Lake in Buffalo Township. My own quite unremarkable ancestors, the Ennises, were settled on the west side of the small lake which bears their name. This fortunate circumstance means that information posted to illustrate the life of John Muir often includes reference to the Ennis family and to other families linked to them by marriage. Indeed, what was once the Ennis farm is now part of the John Muir County Park and so there are numerous photographs of the property as it is today.

One of the things I found was an 1853 notification sent to John Ennis and to his neighbor Daniel Muir and others concerning the newly created School District #5. A meeting was called to discuss the construction of a one-room school for the district. There are old photos of this tiny school which my great grandfather attended for about three or four years.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Happy hunting in 2020
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 January 20 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year Erato.  ;D

Good to hear that you have been finding useful info for your family history records.

I think I may dust down some of my relatives and see if there is anything new to find about them.  Family history never dies as a new generation is added every time there is a birth in the family.

I shall be looking forward to getting a view of the UK 1921 census although it won't be available until 1922 I guess.  I know there is one relative I'm really keen to find in the 1921.

No doubt there will be new records to explore which will help to expand our knowledge of our families that we are researching.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 January 20 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Encouraged by what you have found I intend to revisit old websites that I thought I had previously exhausted and found a death in a newspaper for one of my elderly Canadian Aunts, I wondered why I hadn't a Christmas card for the last 3 years  :-\
I also found other newspaper clippings of Family interest as well as on old photo of the street where my Father was born in St. John's and one of his old school.  :D
Thanks for sharing and happy hunting to you and all Rootschatters in 2020  :D :D :D

Happy New Year

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 January 20 15:55 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to be positive but it seems that the last quarter of 2019 saw me getting nowhere and resorting to finding out about 'the twigs' rather than the main trunk and major branches of the various trees...most discouraging.  I must say that you Chatters did help enormously this last 12 months with a couple of 'problems' and found 'end dates' for me, but going further back has come to a grinding halt.  However, I shall take courage from all of your enthusiasm and rid myself of the feeling that there is nothing else to be found - which, of course, is ridiculous - and press on.  I have to say that in the last half-hour my mood has been lifted enormously by the news that we won on the Premium Bonds...admittedly only £25.00 - but it's all profit, eh?
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 January 20 16:06 GMT (UK) »
That's a good start to the New Year Lydia...hope that is a sign of a good year ahead  :D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 January 20 16:55 GMT (UK) »
I suppose I really ought to try and get into Ireland with those Cummins and Keating lines that emerged from the Irish Sea sometime in the 1840s/1850s, became my great great grandparents etc, once they settled in Lancashire, and never seemed to be very certain of where in Ireland they actually came from ..... but I'm pretty sure after all the time I've been trying, I'll be no further on this time next year (2021)
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 January 20 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Wow, that's a pretty substantial looking school.  Here's the one I found - Riverside School, District No. 5, Buffalo Twsp.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis