Author Topic: Looking for connections in Scotland  (Read 2311 times)

Offline DFG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for connections in Scotland
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 07 September 22 18:00 BST (UK) »
As for John Gibson :  Here is all I can seem to dig up.  Showing him as father of Colin Gibson.

MRZQ-1C9

Offline DFG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 07 September 22 18:46 BST (UK) »
my researchers conducted a statistical analysis of the OPR looking for christenings of babies named Colin Gibson (including variant spellings) - between 1730 and 1760.  They found only 2.   The first was christened in 1760 to late to be the target Colin Gibson.  The second 4 Aug 1754 was what I showed you.

They then searched for Families  with children born 1700 - 1780 and restricted to Englesham Parish. they found 2 Gibson families one John Gibson and the other Thomas Gibson.  Both were tailors. Thomas had a son named John and John's son was named Colin.  The research they did put Thomas to be about the right age to be Colin's grandfather.

John Gibson and Mary McNaught were both from the same parish of  Englesham  were married 19 Feb 1753 in  Englesham .

Offline DFG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 07 September 22 18:54 BST (UK) »
I want to cite my researchers: Legacy Tree - Genealogists and Project Manager Suzanne Earnshaw. 

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 07 September 22 22:02 BST (UK) »
Here is what I found From Family Search (not much information ..)
That is merely an index entry pointing at the handwritten original already posted. The original is pretty uninformative so it's not surprising that the index listing is similar.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline DFG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 08 September 22 15:09 BST (UK) »
From Reply #5...

"Military Service:   "Albany, New York, USA"   
FamilySearch ID:   MWXL-PGD"

Can you post the FS link please (I can't find it)

Annie

Posted what I found on "MWXL-PGD" above for "Rosinish" Annie - as I said Not much information.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 09 September 22 04:46 BST (UK) »
In order to try & make some headway in your research, have you read my Reply #23?

Much can often be gained from baptisms although not always but, if you don't 'bite the bullet', you'll never know & always wonder.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 09 September 22 10:12 BST (UK) »
my researchers conducted a statistical analysis of the OPR looking for christenings of babies named Colin Gibson (including variant spellings) - between 1730 and 1760.  They found only 2.   The first was christened in 1760 to late to be the target Colin Gibson.  The second 4 Aug 1754 was what I showed you.
Did they give you any estimate of thne probability of there being a third (or more) Colin Gibson(s) whose baptism record(s) have not survived?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline DFG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 10 September 22 16:39 BST (UK) »
Did they give you any estimate of thne probability of there being a third (or more) Colin Gibson(s) whose baptism record(s) have not survived?

The indication I got from them is that the paper trail they examined had been exhausted, and I think their conclusion(s) are likely to be right.  I'm trying to see if there may be more out there in the  way of new information? 

It just boggles my mind that the information is so sparse, and I can't seem to get sub 1600 (which is where I thought would be a good stopping point (1600 that is). 

Also boggling to me are the questions I have been trying also to trace:

1) What happened to Janet?

2) What happened to the ship (Brig) "Commerce" after the landing in New York in 1774, and a picture of the ship - I think it was used in the war, but I can not confirm.

3) I find it hard to believe that the whole Gibson family, that Colin Gibson came from, shows so little documentation in Scotland (and in the US for that matter).  DNA test didn't help with anyone in the UK, and very little in the us.   

When we were in Paisley, there seemed to be Gibson's all over.  Maybe the name "Gibson" is like the name "Smith" here?  I feel deep in my being that there must be someone in the Paisley, Renfrewshire area that I'm related to.  Just where are they?