Author Topic: Looking for connections in Scotland  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for connections in Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 August 22 01:26 BST (UK) »
Your reply #5 says Colin is buried in Cambridge Washington. Have you looked at all possibles in Cambridge? Have you asked your researcher for more details?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 August 22 02:03 BST (UK) »
only information I have about  Janet is documents talking about this document I have several, but they say what this document says: 

https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/10517/dvm_LocHist000167-00101-0?backurl=&ssrc=&backlabel=Return#?imageId=dvm_LocHist000167-00004-1

I would think if she died at sea it would be mentioned somewhere .... but ?????
I'd forgot about this thread...

The info. you've posted tells me nothing apart from the fact a Colin Gibson & a Jannet Gibson are both recorded on page 3, nothing in relation to age, occ, or anything else...
There's no indication of a/the relationship i.e. where did you find out Jannet was his wife & not his sister or other relation?
There are other Gibson people on page 4 who may be related?
Colin & Jannet may have been listed at the bottom of the page with the others on the next page but may all be from the same group/family?
Have you investigated further to see if there's a possible connection with those on pages 3 & 4?

The info. on the index(es) tells us nothing other than what's visible i.e. people listed on same pages.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 August 22 04:00 BST (UK) »
I didn’t notice that this thread was a couple of years old.

Surely the researcher should have supplied you with more information as well as sources for the births, and other finds.  :-\

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 August 22 09:01 BST (UK) »
Intrigued by the baptism in 1753 when he was three or four years old.

Have you looked at the original baptism record at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk to see what it actually says? (If your researcher didn't do this, er ... ho ... hum ...)

Also, as it appears that Colin was illegitimate, have you looked to see if there is anything in the surviving Kirk Session minutes of Eaglesham?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline DFG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 August 22 20:50 BST (UK) »
https://exhibitions.nysm.nysed.gov/albany/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////bios/g/cogibson8176.html

Tells me as well as other documents that Janet was the wife of Colin Gibson when they arrived.

Sorry, I'm trying to learn this platform - not doing too well on it - I'm getting lost a lot.

Dean

Offline DFG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 August 22 20:55 BST (UK) »
Your reply #5 says Colin is buried in Cambridge Washington. Have you looked at all possible in Cambridge? Have you asked your researcher for more details? --

I have tried "find a grave" and that didn't  result in anything.  So far can not find a notice of death in papers either, not able to find anything official about his death.

Offline DFG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 August 22 21:04 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the original baptism record at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk to see what it actually says? (If your researcher didn't do this, er ... ho ... hum ...) ----

Not willing to pay to see this (I think I have it anyway) -

GIBSON   COLIN   JOHN GIBSON/   M   04/08/1754   561/   10 117   Eaglesham   Buy c

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 27 August 22 22:20 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the original baptism record at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk to see what it actually says? (If your researcher didn't do this, er ... ho ... hum ...) ----

Not willing to pay to see this (I think I have it anyway) -

GIBSON   COLIN   JOHN GIBSON/   M   04/08/1754   561/   10 117   Eaglesham   Buy c
That is not a record. That is the index listing of it. The original handwritten record may contain information that is not in the index.

But if you aren't willing to pay a very modest fee to view the actual original records you may as well give up trying to do your family history now.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline DFG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 27 August 22 23:57 BST (UK) »
I paid for a Genealogist that got me a picture of register entry for Colin Gibson  (old Parish Registers Births and Baptisms) 4 August 1754 - I have to believe that this would show me the same record. 

No mention of Mother though.  Believe her name would be Mary McNaught married 19 FEB 1753 to John Gibson. 

So I have the connection between Scotland and the US, but Colin Gibson(a tailor) must have done SOMETHING in Kirktown before getting on the Ship to cross the pond.

Janet is the mystery - Don't know what happened to her..  and only spotty information on Colin Gibson What did he do after leaving the boat?

Would like to know if there are any relatives left in Scotland.