Author Topic: James Henry Smith, Montebello, California  (Read 2415 times)

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Henry Smith, Montebello, California
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 02 February 20 00:23 GMT (UK) »
thie tree at familysearch says James Henry Smith married Jennie Pauline Walkingstick, 9 April 1950
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/2MW6-XHG
It doesn't list any children for them.

Jennie may then have married William H Moore on 23 Dec 1966 in LA County. Compare Jennie P Smith and William H Moore, 23 Dec 1966
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V62H-31F

and Jennie P Walkingstick and William H Moore, on the same date: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V62C-5R3

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 02 February 20 00:37 GMT (UK) »
son of James H Smith and Jennie Walkingstick:

Name:    Randy James Smith
Birth Date:    14 Oct 1951
Mother's Maiden Name:    Walkingstick
Birth County:    Los Angeles

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V2TD-YJT

Randy died 9 Sep 1999
source: US Social Security Applications and Claims Index.

-----
a possible daughter
Name:    Judy L Smith
Birth Date:    17 Aug 1958
Mother's Maiden Name:    Walkings
Birth County:    Los Angeles

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VLR2-LGB

Offline daretodiscover

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 02 February 20 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, oldohiohome. Amazing work.

DTD

Offline Hornchurch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 17 January 22 10:30 GMT (UK) »

Good afternoon,
I'm hoping someone can find out where and when this man passed.

I have little on him.

He was a 2nd Lt in the USAAF (ASN O-698929) when he was shot down in 1944.

Grateful for any help.

DTD
'

Hi "DareToDiscover" - I hope ya don't mind me 'chiming-in' on your thread ?

This may not pertain to his death, but it most certainly WILL pad-out his WW.II participation

I'm an aircraft enthusiast, particularly involved (lifelong), with WW.II

Started building AIRFIX kits in the late 1960's & built my first Liberator, way back in Feb' 1971

So,  I went looking for "J.H.S" & found some interesting onfo' on him, straight-away

Amazingly, his service number matches EXACTLY the one you gave, so we know it's him.

I'll list the points which 'might' be of further interest....

1, "2nd Lt James Henry Smith" - service number "O-698929", United States Army Air Force

2,  Served with the 493rd Bomb Group operating out of Station 152 USAAF, Debach, Suffolk (UK)

2a, The individual squadron he served in, was the 862nd Bomb Squadron

3,  Flew combat in Consolidated B.24 Liberators - B.G later converted to the Boeing B.17-'G'

That in itself is VERY unusual in the 8th Air Force - To use BOTH types of USAAF "Heavies".

All other Bomb Groups were allocated just the one type, either B.24's, or B.17's

Am generalising here, but the '1st Air Division' (& 3rd, too), ALL flew in Boeing B.17's

For ease of use (mainly logistics), the Consolidated B.24's were used by the 2nd Air Division

However, "JHS" (your man), appears to've been in the 3rd Air-Div', hence the later conversion**
                   ** (which clearly took place AFTER he'd already been shot-down)

4,  James Henry Smith's role (position) on-board the B.24 was as the a/c's own "Bombardier"
                         (operating the famous 'Norden' Bombsight)

5,  He was shot-down on the 22nd June 1944 - (as I said, before the 493rd converted to B.17's)

6,  The B.24 Liberator he was shot-down in, was a/c serial "42-52759"

7,  "42-52759" was nicknamed "Lucille" by the crew & carried the fuselage codes "8M-T"

8,  "42-52759" took a Flak hit at 22,000ft, thereafter, a section of the right-wing caught fire

9,  Three of the crew managed to 'Evade Capture', including the Pilot, 2nd/Lt Bill Kaplan

10,  By chance & good fortune, ALL of the crew survived, but the rest were taken P.o.W

Just for completeness, "42-52759" was a Consolidated B.24-'H' (version), built by Ford
            (Ford Mo.Co) 

So, it was shot-down on only the 493rd's eleventh mission.

By chance, about 7-10 years ago, I managed to pick-up some decal sheets for B.24s

This unit (493rd), also had a VERY talented artist, named Phil Brinkman... (see below)

Quite a few of their B.24s, were "Nose Painted" & nicknamed after signs of the Zodiac

I'll chuck in some pix / links, to give you an idea of what Jim's plane might've looked like **

** (by that, I mean the unit markings & insignia being the same)

Many carried 'nose-art' (& nicknames), yet many also didn't - All down to crew-preference(s)

I know it's only relating to that 22nd June "shoot-down", but it might help fill some detail ?

Am interested in N.W.Norfolk Hudsons in the Docking, Sedgeford, Heacham & Hunstanton regions,