Author Topic: Bucks Wills website  (Read 845 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Bucks Wills website
« on: Friday 03 January 20 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone tried to order from this site recently?

I've just spent over an hour trying to order and pay for some wills but its something akin to The Crystal Maze. Each will goes into my 'basket' at £5 each even though, at the start of the exercise, it clearly states that each will is £10 (a bit steep?) but I hoped that would be sorted out when I came to pay.

First time I went to my 'basket' to pay, all the wills had mysteriously disappeared. So I tried again - and again - both times, getting a 'item not available' message!!

I've now emailed them (hopefully!) asking if I can order the bloomin things another way. If not, I give up!!!  :-X
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Bucks Wills website
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 January 20 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Jill - the homepage for the Wills site says the price is now £10 - see https://shop.buckscc.gov.uk/s4s/WhereILive/Council?pageId=2347&pid=36803787-1a6a-4c46-bbfb-a5ad00f89b6b&supId=c988f85e-be98-4bf3-b184-a5ad00efd350&bcgId=fcea1611-2a26-4a1d-a4a6-b480f7423e14.  They appear to have done the same as Hertfordshire Archives and greatly increased the price. :-\  Sounds like they've not updated the site correctly if the basket shows £5 but they should be £10.

If you are able to visit a LDS Family History Centre they do have digital copies of I think a lot of them on Familysearch but they're restricted access to the FHCs.  I found them not that easy to find on the digital films using the Archives references but a lot cheaper.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 January 20 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, smudwhisk. I'd resigned myself to paying £10 per will, even though I agree it seems a bit steep.

However, I hadn't bargained for the 'degree of difficulty' (as they say in diving competitions!) in ordering them. I've now checked the opening hours for the Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies and it appears to be only open Tues-Thurs so its hardly surprising that their automatic acknowledgement to my email says they hope to answer within 10 days! I suspect this may also be the reason for their less than helpful ordering website. Not enough time to do their job. Government cuts, no doubt.

Oh well, I'll put my patient hat on...
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 January 20 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at the 'Find a Will' site, wills are £1.50 plus I guess a charge for using a visa card. 

I had a look just before Christmas for three I want but got interrupted by the granddaughters!   ;)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 January 20 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at the 'Find a Will' site, wills are £1.50 plus I guess a charge for using a visa card. 

"Find a Will" are only post 1858 Wills from the Probate Registries, those on the Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies website are pre 1858.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 January 20 08:18 GMT (UK) »

No tricks, no hidden charges, the price was simply reduced from GBP10.00 to GBP1.50 in July 2019.  Probate before 1858 was dealt with by ecclesiastical courts so those wills aren't included.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch