Author Topic: Help! James Shand. b14 Dec 1828  (Read 2223 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Help! James Shand. b14 Dec 1828
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 05 January 20 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Ses(s)nie has been causing me to scratch my head a bit. However light has dawned. Its is not, as claimed on whichever transcription someone was using, a 'street', but an area with several houses or crofts. See https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ8737, which also shows Auchencrieve.

On the first edition of the six-inch Ordnance Survey map it is spelled Cessnie
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=57.4326&lon=-2.2106&layers=6&b=1

and if you go to https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/about and search there for Cessnie you'll see that Mr J Shand is named as one of the authorities for the spelling of the place name.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline karanbil

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 06 January 20 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Just returned after some years absent. Apologies if you've tried to contact me.
Have a look on wikitree.
I've uploaded most of what I have on Shand family. James b1794 seems quite a character, his will is worth downloading particularly re his haste marrying Jane Brand. I'm also puzzled as to why he re-registered Margaret Whytes 6 children in 1854. I think his father Joseph also only registered births 'when he got round to it'. I agree with the reference to James becoming Forbes Leith Shand although have not found mention of him post 1861.
Regards
William Shand

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 06 January 20 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Re 1854.

It is very common in 1854 to find groups of earlier family baptisms being recorded together in the parish register. The children were baptised much earlier, but the baptisms had never been noted in the register. The motive for recording them in 1854 was the coming of statutory registration of births in 1855.

Offline Shand-Aberdeenshire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 09 January 20 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Iv'e updated a little bit of info.

The parents are James Shand b1794 in New Deer and Margaret Whyte b1795 in Methlick.

On the 1841 census, the family was in the Parish of Methlick. The name, street, road they lived on was Sessnie. Per scotlandpeoples.gov. James Shand was 13.

On 1851 census, the family was in the Parish of Methlick. The name, street, road they lived on was Sessnie. Per scotlandpeoples.gov. James Shand was 23.
In 1859 Elizabeth Kilgour dies.
James Shand b1794 had three wives. Margaret Whyte m1820, Elizabeth Kilgour m1837 and Jane Brand m1862.

On 1861 census, the family was in the Parish of Methlick. The name, street, road they lived on was at Auchencrieve/Sessnie. Per scotlandpeoples.gov. No James Shand b1828
James Shand b1794 is a widow.
In 1862 James Shand b1794 marries Jane Brand b1836. Interesting that she is younger than many of his children. Also, it seems it is the same Jane Brand b1836 who is right next door to them on the 1851 census at Goosepoole.

On the 1871 census, the family was in the Parish of Methlick. The name, street, road they lived on was at Sessnie. Per scotlandpeoples.gov. No James Shand b1828.

I did look at the 1873 will and testaments for James Shand b1794. It does not mention his son James but all of his wives and Alexander Shand. I can't find anything on a James Shand b1828 in Scotland past 1851. Yes there is the 1854 re-Baptism records but that doesn't indicate that James is their in Scotland in 1854. There are 13 James Shand's age 32-38 on the 1861 census. I have looked at 6 of them. They don't fit the James Shand b1828 who would have been 33 in 1861.

The James Forbes Leith connection came about due to the fact I am related to the Methlick Shands. I got a DNA match from a McBride family who was married a Margaret Shand who was born in Toronto, Canada. Her father was James Forbes Leith Shand b1855 in Montreal, Quebec. His father was named J.F.L. Shand. I am assuming, it was James Forbes Leith Shand. He was born in Scotland. He died in 1856, a year after his son was born. His death date was 10 Jun 1856 in Montreal, Quebec. Same city/area as son's birth. I have his headstone. It says from Aberdeen, Scotland.

Based on the death date, there is only one James Shand born in Scotland that fits. James Shand b14 Dec 1828. Per scotlandpeoples.gov and everywhere else I could think to look. Just happens to be a family I know I'm related to.

I know the J.F.L Shand b1828 in Scotland who died in Montreal may not be the James Shand b14 Dec 1828 in Methlick. It's the best I got right now. I always try to disprove the facts so I can make sure it is an accurate connection.

That's why I need your help.

Thank you for all of you time.

Scott Shand

Re 1854.

It is very common in 1854 to find groups of earlier family baptisms being recorded together in the parish register. The children were baptised much earlier, but the baptisms had never been noted in the register. The motive for recording them in 1854 was the coming of statutory registration of births in 1855.
Shand's from Rathen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Lawrance/Lawrence from Aberdeenshire
Cardno from Aberdeenshire
Bannerman from Aberdeenshire
Isobel Bruce b1751 d1836 married to William Shand b1750 d1823 Kirkyard of Rathen
John Shand b1713 Methlick married Jean Massie

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 09 January 20 20:26 GMT (UK) »
The name, street, road they lived on was Sessnie.
Sessnie (Cessnie) is not in a road or street, or in a city, town or village. It is a piece of rural land with several crofts besides the main farm. Please don't misinterpret the page headers in the enumeration book.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Shand-Aberdeenshire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 09 January 20 21:41 GMT (UK) »
You are correct. Thank you for the earlier info. Very interesting! I spent a couple of hours looking over it.

Ses(s)nie has been causing me to scratch my head a bit. However light has dawned. Its is not, as claimed on whichever transcription someone was using, a 'street', but an area with several houses or crofts. See https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ8737, which also shows Auchencrieve.

On the first edition of the six-inch Ordnance Survey map it is spelled Cessnie
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=57.4326&lon=-2.2106&layers=6&b=1

and if you go to https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/about and search there for Cessnie you'll see that Mr J Shand is named as one of the authorities for the spelling of the place name.

The name, street, road they lived on was Sessnie.
Sessnie (Cessnie) is not in a road or street, or in a city, town or village. It is a piece of rural land with several crofts besides the main farm. Please don't misinterpret the page headers in the enumeration book.
Shand's from Rathen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Lawrance/Lawrence from Aberdeenshire
Cardno from Aberdeenshire
Bannerman from Aberdeenshire
Isobel Bruce b1751 d1836 married to William Shand b1750 d1823 Kirkyard of Rathen
John Shand b1713 Methlick married Jean Massie

Offline karanbil

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 12 January 20 13:28 GMT (UK) »
I think we need to remember that not all births, marriages and deaths were recorded pre 1855 and even afterwards.
I have caused myself much grief assuming that X Shand must be the one I'm looking for because nobody else fits. Then I find a marriage or death cert for him who was not registered at birth.

Regarding names of people and places, the writer of whichever record would have spelled it as he saw fit. If you look far enough back you will find couples with Schande on their birth and marriage records but the writer called their children Shand.

Regarding Sessnie / Cessnie. James shand is credited with calling it Cessnie, was this his interpretation or the writers. James's will says he was resident at Mill of Sessnie. Same question.

His father Joseph was registered at birth but not death.
We assume he died between 1841 census and 1851.
This leads me to James Shand b1828.
He is on 1851 census but not 1861 so we assume he died, or migrated.
However, there is a death record for a Shand registered at Savoch of Deer, Methlick in 1851.
The entry is after Nov 10th and simply says 13th. November or December ??
It shouldn't be Joseph if we assume he died before 1851 census.
So could it be James ???
A tip with Scots People searches.
I put no name, ticked "both" in gender and Methlick to find this record.