Author Topic: HOPE/Harkness muddle  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: HOPE/Harkness muddle
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 January 20 14:49 GMT (UK) »
One marriage entry for possible parents of James does mention 'Rigg';cannot decipher the next word (would love it to be Farm)
I read it as 'Farm' on your extract.

or the spouse's village (....scailes?).
Where does that appear? I can see Knaresborough but nothing else.

Perhaps Rigg was regarded as part of Graitney/Gretna?
There is a small village called Rigg in the parish of Gretna. See https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=54.9931&lon=-3.1099&layers=5&b=1 and https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NY2966

It's not a case of somewhere being 'regarded as' part of somewhere else. Parishes had defined (albeit sometimes very convoluted) boundaries and if a place was inside that boundary, it was in that parish. Gretna is a parish and has numerous farms and hamlets within its boundaries.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Dumfriesdelving

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 January 20 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information about Rigg & Graitney. I always hoped to find the farm in Annan.

I wasn't sure whether the marriage/birth certs are copyright: I looked at John Hope + Margaret Harkness, of Rigg …… and Scale...….... It's very faint.
The other likely parents for James were Thomas Hope + Jean Herkness.

Hope/Harkness (Graitney/Gretna/Rigg/Annan)
Turnbull/Andrews/Lund/Calverley (Knaresborough,Yorks)
Beer (Devon UK & Saint John, New Brunswick,Canada)
Donisthorpe/Thompson/Hinksman (Hinckley, Leics)
Morris/Stone/Fuller/Neslen/Smith (Gt Yarmouth/ Norfolk/Suffolk)
Pritchard (Middlesex)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 January 20 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information about Rigg & Graitney. I always hoped to find the farm in Annan.
I did not find any reference to a farm called Rig(g) in the Ordnance Survey Name Books for Annan.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline hmcc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
A David Hope is recorded in the 1855 Valuation Rolls on SP at Farm of Rigg Cottage. He can be found in 1841 and 1851 census at Moor Cottage, Gretna.
1841 David (16) is with father Thomas (75),farmer and mother Francis (Reid) (47). They married in 1814. 
Jean Herkness may have died and he has remarried although haven't found her death on SP.
Headstone for David Hope, farmer at Gretna Old Churchyard.
hmcc.

Offline Dumfriesdelving

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 January 20 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for this;sounds promising,will look again.On SP I saw another David, b.1733, different parents but was hoping to see 'farmer'.Had seen a David on Gretna cemetery page.
Pritchard (Middlesex)

Offline hmcc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 January 20 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Found this on the site Gretna Old Church-19th Century Longtown and may be of help to you.

In memory of Francis HOPE daughter of David HOPE farmer Rigg Cottage who died 10th May 1863 aged 10 months. Also Janet Richardson HOPE his daughter who died 1st May 1866 aged 5 years and 9 months. Also Robert Gordon HOPE his son who died 25th November 1872 aged 8 years and 7 months. Also the above David HOPE farmer who died at Rigg Cottage 10th Sep 1883 aged 58 years. Also Jane GORDON wife of the above who died at Greenlaw Gretna Green 16th Nov 1919 aged 84 years.In memory of Jean HERKNESS spouse to Thomas HOPE in Muir Cottage who died the 27th of July 1809 aged 43 years. And William HOPE their son who died 16th April 1831 aged 36 years. Their son Thomas who died 11th Aug 1836 aged 27. The said Thos. HOPE who died 4th March 1845 aged 80. His daughter Frances who died 6th Decr 1835 aged 19. And Frances REID his wife who died at Rigg Cottage 31st July 1871 aged 77 years.In memory of Margaret Harkness daughter of John HOPE who died at Kirtleside March the 2nd 1865 aged 29 years. Also Joseph Barclay his son who died at Kirtleside July the 6th 1865 aged 21 years. And George his son who died at Kirtleside 30th January 1867 aged eighteen years. Also Jessie BARCLAY relict of the late Robert WRIGHT Forest Park Ruthwell and mother in law of the above John HOPE who died at Kirtleside 7th June 1875 in her 88th year. Also the above John HOPE who died 6th Nov 1881 aged 81 years. Also Jane WRIGHT widow of the above who died at Kirtleside 28th Dec 1893 aged 86 years. Also John their son who died there 29th Aug 1902 aged 69 years. Also Jessie B HOPE daughter of the above who died at Riggfoot 25th Nov 1907 aged 69 years. Also of Isabella daughter of the above who died 7th June 1919 aged 78 years
hmcc.

Offline Dumfriesdelving

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 January 20 17:27 GMT (UK) »
This is wonderful: thank you so much.
So, 2 spouses for Thomas Hope (I had noticed the 28-yr age difference....)His 2nd wife was née Greenlaw, hence David Greenlaw Hope. Had investigated the family in the 1841 census but discounted them because of Frances' unfamiliar name!

James Hope (son of Jean Herkness) was living in Annan at the time.
Pritchard (Middlesex)

Offline robbiesmum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 08 January 20 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Photos of gravestones at Gretna Old Church, including the Hope ones above are at:
http://longtown19.magix.net/album/all-albums/!/oa/6705400/page/3/

Photos in alphabetical order of surname: transcripts of each in comments under the photos: you should be able to download any photos to check the transcript

Robbiesmum

Offline Dumfriesdelving

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 10 January 20 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for providing this superb link:I never expected to see my gt-gt-gt-grandparents' names, complete with the magic word 'Rigg',or the adjacent gt-gt-gt-uncle, from so far away.He was the next-best possible father of James Hope.

*A special moment!*
Pritchard (Middlesex)